Ninety Six

(A/N)

Have an AP test in the morning and a chem test in the afternoon so I shouldn't be writing this but oops

It's this vicious cycle; I stress out about a test, so I WRITE to relieve that stress.
Then I stress because I'm not studying for the test, so I WRITE to relieve the stress.
And next thing you know I have 1600 words typed out and I know absolutely nothing about U.S. history xD

**

Alex had practice around noon the next day, and he texted Mitch a quick good luck for the breakfast Mitch was gonna have with his parents. 

He'd gotten to the field early to set up a few things, and maybe shoot around a little. 

When he parked, he saw Jake already on the field. This was characteristic of him, of course. 

Jake was always the player that wasn't outstanding, but also wasn't terrible. But he worked harder than anyone; Always came early, stayed late and practiced in any other free time he could find. Once Alex had come to the field to help him out on a Sunday, and Jake had worked hard for a solid three hours. 

Jake waved at him when he showed up, and Alex happily waved back as he walked over. 

Alex tossed his bag down with Jake's, sitting down to put his cleats on as Jake jogged over. 

Jake smiled when he got there, plopping down in front of Alex almost like a child. "Hi, how are you?"

"I'm doing alright. And how are you? Have you been here long?"

"Only an hour or so... I was just working on the stuff you told me, is all."

"Ah." Alex moved on to his second shoe. "You're easily the strongest midfielder we have. I wouldn't worry about it."

"You think so? I'm not very good at defensive mid... But I do feel like mid-feild is where I'm best utilized." He shook his head once. "But I'm sure you know that, don't know why I'm telling you..."

"You just have lots of stamina. And you're really good at seeing opportunities; That's why you shine so much in the middle."

"Wow. That's a really nice thing to say."

"Well it's true." Alex hopped up, now that his shoes were tied, and held a hand out to Jake. "Let's keep working, shall we?"

*

Scott was finally home, and Avi came over to hang out, asking about how breakfast went. 

Scott only shrugged, taking a sip of the beer in his hands. "Fine I guess. His dad chewed me out for leaving a hickey on Mitch's neck."

"Well you shouldn't have done that, dumbass."

"Sorry. Couldn't help it."

"So, uh... What happened?"

"When I was getting Mitch off, I leaned down and--"

"No, no!" Avi turned to look at him quickly. "You disgusting fuck, that's not what I was asking."

Scott chuckled a little, taking another sip. "Sorry. But also not sorry... Were you asking about what happened at breakfast? Before or after I got yelled at?"