Hundred And Five

Scott and Mitch now lay beside each other, Mitch's ear pressed to Scott's bare chest, as Scott ran a hand up and down Mitch's spine. 

Mitch suddenly shifted a little, turning his head to rest his chin on Scott's sternum. "Scottie? Why won't you let Connie come visit?"

Scott's hand stopped moving, and he frowned a little. "I just don't want her around anymore."

"But why?"

"I really don't wanna talk about this, Mitch..."

"I know. Because you always try to be tough and rebellious when you're around other people. And... You like to put on a stoic front, so people don't see how sad you are. But I see it, Scott. I see you."

Scott only blinked. "That has nothing to do with this."

Mitch's arms wrapped around Scott's chest, sliding underneath him. "Yes it does. I think... You grew up too fast. And... You learned to put an angry face on, so no one could possibly see that you weren't okay. And... If you seemed mean enough, they wouldn't bother asking."

"So? What does that have to do with my mom?"

"See? You're getting snippy because I'm onto something. Because I care about you, and you don't know how to handle it."

"Just to clarify.. Your argument is that I'm being mean to keep you away from me?" Scott asked, almost sarcastically, like he knew Mitch was dead wrong.

"No. My argument, is that your parents cared for you, and then left you. And you're afraid of letting anyone else in, because you think they'll leave too. That's why we got in that argument a while back, about me not leaving you. Because you think that... If you can convince yourself that I don't care, it won't hurt as bad when I go away."

Scott just stared at him. "Do we have to get into this right now?"

"And you're pushing me away. You're convinced that I have the power to hurt you, and you're running from me."

"Mitch, come on. I was like.. Ten, when she left. It doesn't bug me anymore."

"But you don't want her to come back, because you think she'll leave again. You don't want to open up to her, for fear of her breaking you down again."

"Breaking me--? Mitchell, the only one breaking me down right now, is you. Why are you psychoanalyzing me right now?"

Mitch shook his head a little, staring directly at him. "Just figuring it out, that's all..."

"Okay well stop it. I have to give you back to your mom in a few hours, and I don't want to spend our last however long arguing about something dumb."

"First of all, your feelings are not 'something dumb'. Second of all, I don't have to go anywhere. We don't have school tomorrow, remember? One of those 'teacher days'. I can always call my mom and tell her I'm staying here."

"What?" Scott squinted at him a little. "Are you sure..? I feel like your mom has to be missing you by now."

"I can just text her, or call or whatever." Mitch grinned, tilting his head down to kiss the center of Scott's chest. "You're stuck with me for a little longer, babe."

"Just make sure you don't get in trouble, okay? That's all I ask."

"I can call... In a few minutes, probably. I don't wanna get up yet..."

"Okay. That's fine." Scott's hand resumed moving up and down Mitch's back. "Take your time, baby... I'll order dinner when you get back up."

"Hey, uh... I know this is annoying because we're all sweaty and I'm kinda tired, but... Could we maybe go out to eat? Like... Somewhere nice?"