Hundred Seventy One

Scott couldn't concentrate at all the next day in class. 

During history, Mitch glanced over nervously at him at least once every three minutes. 

But Scott was just staring at the paper he was supposed to be taking notes on, doodling something.

When the break came in the middle of class for people to use the restroom, Mitch got up from his seat just to kneel down beside Scott's, looking up at him. "Scottie? Are you alright, babe?"

Scott shrugged. "Just tired."

"That's not true... Talk to me, honey." Mitch put a hand on Scott's calf, running it up and down slowly. 

Scott glanced down at him. "I'm fine, Mitch. I swear. You're worrying over nothing."

Mitch frowned a little, eyes still locked with Scott's. "Why won't you just tell me what's wrong, babe?"

"Because you know what's wrong."

"So it's about yesterday. I figured. How do you feel, honey?"

Scott huffed at him and looked away, like it was the dumbest thing he'd ever heard. "What kind of question--?"

"Well, you're not talking to me so I'm having to force it. Answer me."

"I feel great, Mitchell. Just great. I love when old men--"

Mitch stood abruptly, grabbing Scott's chin in his hand. "Drop that attitude, Scott. I'm trying to help you."

Scott stared up at him, and then pulled his chin away from his hand. "Sorry..."

Mitch exhaled loudly, glancing at the clock to see how much of the break was left.

He then leaned on Scott's desk, crossing his arms in front of his chest as he looked down at Scott's face. "So talk, babe. If I'm willing to ask the question, that means I'm willing to hear the answer. No matter what it may be."

Scott pouted a little, hand immediately finding one of Mitch's thighs. "I'm okay, Mitch. I really am. I just... Don't wanna talk here. At lunch, maybe."

Mitch gave him a look of pity, and then leaned down to kiss him once. "Okay, baby. Whatever makes you feel more comfortable."

Scott stood from his seat slowly, only to give Mitch a careful hug. "Thanks for lookin' out for me."

"Well, I love you, don't I?"

Scott nodded, closing his eyes tightly as he gave Mitch a quick squeeze before letting go. "And I love you too."

*

Avi quickly caught up with them at lunch, bumping Scott's shoulder as he walked beside them. "Hey guys."

Scott gave him a nod, swinging his car key around in his hand.

Mitch leaned past Scott to smile, one hand on Scott's lower abdomen. "Hi, Av... Want to come to lunch with us?"

Avi nodded once. "Sure. Either of you seen Alex today?"

Mitch shook his head. "He's in my class after lunch. And then... Class tomorrow morning."

"Damn. I can't seem to--"

Alex had jogged up from behind them, putting his hands on Avi's hips for a moment before moving to stand beside him. "Hi! I've been looking for you--"

"Where the Hell have you been?"

"I got to school late. I'm sorry."

Avi nodded once. "It's all good. Was just asking."