Twenty Three

Scott didn't bother zipping the jacket when he walked into the restaurant, holding the door for Mitch.

There weren't many people inside the diner, thank goodness. Mitch couldn't handle any additional embarrassment.

Scott pulled out Mitch's seat for him, and when he pushed the seat back in, he leaned down to kiss Mitch's temple. "It's okay, babe. It's not the end of the world."

"Promise?"

Scott grinned, and then sat down across from him. "I promise."

Mitch nodded slowly. "Okay. Cool. Thank you, by the way. For... This morning."

"Not a problem. Plus I got a date with you, so. Everyone's a winner." Scott mumbled the last sentence as he looked down at his menu.

When the waitress came skipping over, Mitch immediately watched her steal a glance at Scott's outfit, which was slightly revealing.

Mitch didn't say anything though, like a nice, calm, not jealous boyfriend.

Scott ordered their drinks for them both, and she scurried away quickly.

Mitch knew what he wanted to order food wise, and set his menu down gently. "Scottie?"

"Hmm?"

"Would you pretty please zip up that jacket?"

"It's not that cold in here, babe. And this tattoo right here is pretty bad ass if I do say so myself." Scott retorted, as he pointed to a splurge of black ink just under his sternum.

Mitch frowned, but nodded. He was overreacting. Why should he make Scott change his outfit just because he looks good? "You're right. Nevermind."

Scott gave him a sympathetic smile. "If it's really bothering you that much, I'll fix it."

"No, it's fine. What are you ordering?"

"I dunno yet. Something along the lines of a shit ton of pancakes."

Mitch giggled a little. "Do that. Say that, specifically."

"Wait, wait." Scott continued reading down the menu, pointing at something. "There's a special. I'm getting it."

Mitch rolled his eyes fondly. "You're such a simple man."

"Is that a bad thing? I like my breakfasts big, and my boyfriends hot. Sue me."

"Boyfriends, plural?"

"Oh please. As if I'd ever find someone good enough to compete with you."

"You might. Probably wouldn't have to look that hard."

Scott's smiled faded a little. "Aw... Mitch, don't say that. You're the best thing that ever happened to me."

Mitch shook his head a little. "And you, are a hopeless romantic."

Before Scott could retaliate, the waitress came back.

*

It wasn't until they were about to leave, that the waitress got on Mitch's nerves again.

Mitch had just been standing next to Scott holding boxes of leftovers, as Scott paid for their breakfast at the cash register.

The waitress stood on the other side of him ringing it up, occasionally bumping hips with him. "Then I'll take this, and trade you for this--" She handed him the receipt, practically grabbing his hand as she did so.

Mitch just stood quietly, not knowing how to respond to it other than to squeeze Scott's hand once.

Scott shoved the receipt into his pocket, and took his change from the waitress. "Thank you."