Hundred Forty Four

Scott was late to class as usual, having just dropped Mitch off at his class.

His own was across campus, but he never minded the walk. Hands shoved in his pockets, he walked slowly to his math class, until he saw Avi.

Avi was practically storming across the campus, holding his backpack tightly.

Scott called out to him, giving him a wave. "Hey, Avi."

Avi glanced at him, stopped walking for a second, but then turned and kept walking.

Scott looked to the building he was supposed to be walking to, knowing Mitch would want him to be in class. But he couldn't help wanting to make sure Avi was okay.

As Scott started walking toward him, he watched another kid bump into Avi, only for Avi to yell at him, and then he watched as more people walked over.

Considering these people were either late, or ditching class, they weren't exactly the 'Mitchs' of the school.

Scott walked a little faster when he saw punches being thrown, and he tossed his backpack down to jump in front of Avi and hold his hands out in front of him. "You fucking cocksuckers should get the fuck out of here."

One of the shorter ones stepped out toward him. "Then he shouldn't have pushed--"

"He pushed, because you were in his fucking way. And he obviously looks pissed, so if I were you, I wouldn't push him around right now."

Avi tried to push him aside. "Scott, get the fuck out of the way."

"No, you dumbass. I'm not letting you get suspended again."

When Scott turned his back, the shorter one decided that was his go time, and kicked the back of one of his knees.

*

Mitch had just been scribbling down notes, as Alex zoned out during class.

When the classwork paper came, and Mitch turned to Alex to work together, he frowned. "Lex? You okay?"

Alex looked over quickly. "What? Yes."

"Are you sure..?" Mitch passed him one of the papers. "What happened with Avi?"

"I really don't wanna talk about that, Mitch. I'm sorry."

"No, that's okay. We'll talk later."

One of the administrators walked into the room then, saying something to the teacher.

Mitch glanced at them, but didn't think anything of it. Even when he thought he heard them say something about a fight, he knew Scott was safely in class.

Alex nodded at them a little, and spoke softly to Mitch. "What are they talkin' about?"

"Bunch of kids in a fight, I think. Probably just telling the teacher not to let people out of class."

"A fight? Oh shit. Do you think Avi and Scott are involved? I mean, when Avi walked away from me, he was pretty upset."

"Nah. Scott's in class."

"Really? Oh." Alex looked at him. "How do you know?"

Mitch looked up from his paper slowly. "Shit... I just assumed." He quickly pulled his phone out, being good about hiding it from the teacher, as he quickly texted Scott to check on him.

Alex glanced over, watching him type. "God, now I'm worried."

Mitch texted Scott a bunch of times, only growing more anxious when he didn't answer. "Fuck, Alex, I think I'm gonna be sick."