Fifty Seven

Okay if someone doesn't turn off that phone, Mitch is going to beat them up. Or maybe just get Scott to do it.

Seriously though, if he hears one more fucking beep he's gonna-- And there it is. There it fucking is, who the fuck--?"

"God, I'm so sorry."

Mitch's eyebrows came together, or at least he thought they did. Sounded like Scott..?

"You gotta stop blaming yourself. You need to get home and get some rest."

"Stop telling me that. I'm not gonna fucking leave him."

"It's not your fault. There's no way you could've stopped this."

A sigh was heard. "I shouldn't have let him go. I... I should've held on to him. I should've saved him."

"Please. You need to get some sleep."

Mitch wanted to argue. Someone needed to shut the fuck up. Now he had to listen to the incessant beeping as well as these two arguing--

"He needs me. I'm not leaving him alone. I let him get away from me once, and then this happened."

"That's different."

Mitch suddenly felt something squeezing his hand, and he wanted to pull away because it hurt, whatever the fuck it was.

What was hurting him..? And why wasn't Scott stopping them?

"At least eat something. Please? Alex is gonna be back any second with your coffee--"

"Just shut the fuck up."

Yes, please. Thank you, fuck. Once he was met with the quiet again, Mitch felt himself fall back asleep.

*

He blinked himself awake, met immediately with a white ceiling. Too bright. Way too bright.

He squinted a little, and turned his head a little to see the doctor rushing into the room.

Avi was in a panic, screaming at someone, but Mitch couldn't hear him for a second.

When he really focused, the sound came back to him, and suddenly he could hear Avi shouting, as well as the doctor speaking and then he could also hear that mother fucking beeping.

Mitch squeezed his eyes shut so it would stop, and then he felt the squeezing on his hand again.

Why did everything have to happen all at once?

Mitch opened his eyes just to look down at his hand to see who the fuck put a cement brick on top of it, but frowned.

Scott was there, eyes full of tears, holding Mitch's hand with both of his own.

Mitch stared at him, and then realized Scott was speaking to him.

Mitch didn't hear a word, the noise still too fucking loud. "Shh."

Scott stopped talking immediately, and he jumped out of his seat to hug Mitch as carefully as he could. "Oh my God. Oh my God, you're okay."

Mitch's mom rushed into the room then, tears falling from her eyes. "Oh my baby!"

Scott didn't move, and Mitch could feel tears falling on his neck. Mitch wanted to hug him back, but his arms felt heavy, and he was too tired to bother.

He could speak though, so he stuck with that. "Scottie?"

Scott moved away to look at his face, tears still falling from his bright, blue eyes. "What, baby? I'm right here. I'm here, I've been here."