Fifty One

Scott pouted as he sat on Mitch's bed. "Told you they don't like me."

"It's just my dad, and it's dumb, so."

Scott didn't answer him, just staring at his legs. 

Mitch sat down beside him, putting a hand on Scott's upper back. "Don't be like that... It's okay. My dad's just... Being protective, I guess. He doesn't even like when I hang out with my friends, because he's worried I'll forget about wanting to go to college or something."

Scott nodded slowly. "Maybe he's right. I don't want to jeopardize your chance at scholarships."

"It's not gonna happen. I'm already a senior, Scott. I've already applied to things like that. There's really nothing I can do about it now."

"I just... I want to help... I don't want your dad to be mad at you all the time just because you're dating me."

Mitch finally slid his hand underneath Scott's shirt, just to rest on his back. "Okay, listen to me for a second, you overwhelmingly attractive delinquent. I don't care what my parents think about you. I don't care what your dad thinks about me either, quite frankly. Even if I got kicked out of the house for loving you, I'd still never stop."

Scott looked over at him with a frown. "But why? I'm such a mess, and you're so... Not."

"I disagree. I think... I think we're both pretty messy, but we bring out the best in each other. You always encourage me to be more confident, like the time you had me kiss you in front of a bunch of people. And... I'd like to think I've kept you in school, as far as making sure you're in class on time, and helping you as much as I can with your homework."

Scott nodded slowly, looking back down at his legs. "Yeah... You're right."

"Aren't I always?"

Scott grinned, feeling Mitch kiss his temple. "Always."

*

As Scott was walking out the door, Mitch grabbed his arm to stop him. "Wait, where are you going? Not home, right?"

"No... Probably back to Avi's."

"Can I come with you?"

"If... You want to. Please ask your parents first though. If you need to be here doing homework, that's where I want you to be."

Mitch nodded quickly, and turned around. "Yeah, I'll ask. You'll wait here?"

"Of course." And he did. He stood right in the doorway, waiting for Mitch to return to him. 

All he really heard was a loud voice, presumably Mitch's father, say something about Mitch having school tomorrow.

Suddenly Nel was pulling Mitch back toward the front door, a smile on her face. "Bring him home after dinner please, and feed him well. Have fun you two."

Scott looked to Nel with a small frown. "Are you going to be okay?"

She nodded quickly. "Of course. I just need to lecture my husband on being fair to his son. I can handle myself."

Mitch nodded, meeting Scott's eyes. "She can."

Scott smirked down at him. "Ah, so you get your charisma from your mother."

Nel winked at him. "You are correct."

*

Alex had just sat down after cleaning the entire living room, picking up all kinds of empty cans and half eaten snacks. 

Avi sat beside him a second later. "Thanks so much for helping. Means a lot."

"Well I created most of this mess. I eat too much."

"I disagree. Scott ate like 80 percent of my refrigerator."

Alex chuckled at that. "Yeah... I hear that from Mitch a lot. I think it's because of how tall he is. Lots of space to fill up."

Avi just grinned. "I guess that makes sense. Did you wanna stick around for a bit? We could watch some more movies until you have to go."

"Oh sure! If you're sure your mom's okay with me bugging you guys for a bit longer..."

"I'm sure she is. She's not used to anyone else being here that isn't Scott. Might be good to have some variety."

Alex smiled at him. "Hell, let's get it going then. Wanna watch Oz?"

"What's that?"

Alex's smile fell in an instant. "You're kidding. You've never seen the Wizard of Oz?"

"Uh... I don't think so, no."

Alex jumped off of the couch, rushing to grab the remote to search the television for his specific movie. "That's insane."

"I think it's normal."

"Definitely not."

Avi couldn't help but stare at the excited smile on Alex's face as he searched for his favorite movie, and then his eyes fell to Alex's arms for a second, enjoying those as well. 

This is crazy. He's not gay. He's not. And if he were, wouldn't he have fallen in love with Scott a long time ago?

Avi looked away quickly. There's no way. Alex was just... Super in shape. It's hard not to stare. That's not his fault. 

Alex glanced over at him, seeing his thinking face in full form. "You okay? We don't have to watch this if you don't wanna. It's no big deal."

"No, it's not..." Avi paused a moment, looking over at him. "Alex, are you gay?"

Alex didn't even hesitate. "Yeah. I'd say so. Why?"

He shook his head and looked away. "No reason. I was just curious."

Alex looked down at himself. "Is it that obvious? I'm a big, hot, jock-y, soccer player. How could you tell?"

"I was just asking. I didn't mean to offend you or anything."

"I'm not offended. I don't think it's an offensive question. I was only asking because you were really abrupt about it. Was curious if it was something I said."

Avi sat forward a little. "When did you know you were gay?"

"Uh... I think when I was fifteen. That's when I had my first boyfriend anyway."

"And you just... Knew?"

"It's a little more complicated than that, but... Sure. Why are you asking..?"

Avi only stared at him. "I don't know... Curious."

Alex was completely ignoring the movie now, as he leaned toward Avi a little. "Are you asking, because.. You think you're gay?"

"No, no of course not."

"Maybe bisexual?"

"I don't think so."

"That sounded less certain. Maybe bi-curious?"

Avi kept staring at him, losing himself for a moment in Alex's light brown eyes. "I don't know."

Alex scooted over a little closer, eyes locked with Avi's as he set a hand on Avi's knee. "Would you like to find out?"

*