Hundred Sixty

Scott elected to drive home by himself, while Avi drove Mitch. 

Not many words were spoken in either vehicle, until Mitch finally couldn't help but ask. 

He turned to Avi a little, and turned the radio down. Avi kept his eyes on the road as he spoke. "Somethin' wrong?"

"No, just... Can I ask..? What was it like? When he'd come over to your house after he got hurt... How was he?"

Avi hesitated to answer, not wanting to spill something Scott wouldn't want Mitch knowing. "Well... He'd always be a little too quiet. Always got nervous if I'd accidentally bump him or touch him somehow... He'd avoid eating a lot... I don't know. He'd just be kind of hollow, y'know? Like he wasn't really in there."

Mitch stared at him, before a hand came up to cover his mouth. "Oh, my poor baby... What else?"

"I'm not trying to upset you, Mitch..."

"I know, but... I need to know. What else?"

"He never let me come over unless his dad was gone. I barely even knew Rick, unless I came over to pick Scott up for school or whatever."

"Was he bruised up a lot..?"

"Sort of. He was good at hiding it, y'know. And.. He was kind of a nerd in his earlier years of school, but... I guess once Rick And Friends started getting worse, he kind of turned into the delinquent stereotype that he is now. No respect for adults, and all that."

"Which begs the question.. Why has he been so nice to me?"

"You got me there, Mitch. I have no idea. He's always been one to get irritated when other people are being treated poorly, and.. He's not really mean to people until they're mean first, y'know. So.. Maybe seeing you getting beat up that day just clicked in his head. Like.. He didn't want you to have to hurt like he did."

Mitch sat back in his seat a little. "I see... Do you think he's gonna be upset once it really sets in that he hit his mother?"

"Nah. That bitch had it comin'."

*

Avi followed Scott home, and then pulled into the driveway right beside him. 

Mitch immediately jumped out of the car and hurried to open Scott's door, only to hug him tightly. "I love you so, so much, Scottie."

Scott hugged back with a confused look on his face. "I love you too, Cutie."

Mitch hugged him as tight as he could, before leaning back a little to look up at him. "I'm so lucky to have met you... And I want you to know I'm proud of you. I'm proud of who you are."

Scott leaned down to kiss his nose once. "Seeing me hit Connie really fucked you up, huh?"

"No, no, just... I just love you." Mitch pouted, pulling away from him. "And I had a good cry on the way here, so."

Scott chuckled a little. "Right."

*

Mitch held Scott tightly in his arms as Scott's favorite series of movies played on the screen. 

Kirstie stopped by to bring cookies, because Mitch accidentally let it slip that Scott was heartbroken about something. 

Avi had invited Alex over, just to leave Scott and Mitch alone. 

Scott suddenly sat up, pushing Mitch's arms away. "Avi, I need to talk to you for a second."

Avi stood quickly. "Okay. We can talk in your room."