Hundred Sixty Seven

Mitch's mom was very loudly speaking to him on the phone, incredibly worried about her son.

Scott was speaking with one of the firefighters, now that the event was mostly over; people safe and fire contained. 

A few reporters had arrived as well, but Scott was trying to steer clear of them. 

Nel suddenly spoke even louder. "Mitchie, baby, the building is on the news!"

Mitch glanced around, seeing the news vans showing up. "Yeah... I see that. I'm gonna leave as soon as Scott gets back over here."

"Why isn't he with you? Was he hurt?" She rushed, in her concerned mother voice.

"No, he's okay... He helped a bunch of people escape, Mom. It was the coolest thing I've ever seen. I was too scared to do anything at all except process the situation, but he just... He got us out of there, and... And then helped other people."

"That's wonderful, Mitch. I'm definitely going to have to thank him next time I see him. When will you be home?"

"I.. I was supposed to go to his house, remember? But I'll come home if you want me to."

"Yes, please come home. Bring Scott."

"Okay... I will." Mitch tried to wave Scott over, before speaking again. "We'll hurry, I promise."

"I love you so much, Kissy boy... I'll make you guys something to eat."

"Thanks. I love you too, Mom."

Scott was suddenly there, sliding his hand along Mitch's lower back. "What's up, babe? Are you okay?"

"Yeah.. Mom wants us to come over so she can feed us and interview us."

"Oh okay. We should go then if--"

A different firefighter tapped his arm. "Excuse me, Sir. There's a reporter here who'd like to--"

"I need to drive him home." Scott interrupted, turning to meet the eyes of the person speaking to him. "Sorry."

Mitch pushed his arm. "Scottie, you have time. It's okay."

Scott frowned, looking back at Mitch. "But I don't wanna talk--"

Mitch looked past him at the firefighter. "Bring the reporter over here. Tell them to hurry."

Scott pouted at him as the firefighter scurried off. "Mitch, I don't want to talk to anyone."

"I know, honey. But think about the way people treat you just because of what you look like. I want them to see you for who you are. Because you, Scott Hoying, just saved lives."

Scott turned to fully face him, but someone tapped his shoulder again. When Scott turned, there was a camera in his face. 

The short female reporter smiled at him. "Hi! The more people I speak to, the more tell me that you helped them escape. So I figured I should come here first. I understand that you're trying to get out of here, so I'll hurry."

Scott nodded once. "Uh.. Okay. Is it okay that I'm not wearing a shirt..? I lost it in the middle of... Y'know."

"Oh, that's fine! Need some eye candy to keep younger viewers entertained, and you're doing just fine. What was your name?"

"Scott... And this is Mitch." He waved behind him.

Mitch reached out to hold Scott's hand, trying to give him some confidence. 

"I see! Nice to meet both of you."

Scott glanced down at their hands as he spoke. "I don't know why you'd wanna talk to me. I only helped like ten people out, and to be truthful I helped myself out first."