Ninety Eight

Mitch enjoyed himself as he snooped through Scott's cell phone; loving that Scott had nothing to hide.

Scott went through and grabbed the jeans in a size smaller, shaking his head a little at the thought of Mitch assuming he was larger than he is.

As he turned, he saw Avi and Alex walking together through the store.

Scott approached them quickly, wanting to check on them. "Hey. You guys doing okay?"

Avi nodded. "We're fine. Did Mitch find something?"

"He likes these, but needed a different size. Shouldn't be too long."

"Oh okay."

Alex pouted at him. "Will you please tell Avi not to buy me anything?"

Scott didn't respond, but just looked at Avi for an explanation.

Avi only shrugged, holding up a health bar of some kind. "He said he was hungry, and that this looks really good. Was gonna buy it for him. Literally not a big deal at all."

Scott nodded once. "Yeah, you should buy it. I gotta get back to Mitch."

Avi smacked Alex's arm. "See? No big deal."

Scott hurried back into Mitch's dressing room, where Mitch was leaning against one of the walls, in just his underwear, with Scott's phone in hand.

Scott couldn't even get a word out, before Mitch shoved Scott's phone in his face. "Who are you texting? It's an unknown number, but you clearly know who it is."

Scott took the phone, and then shrugged. "No one important."

Mitch crossed his arms. "I'm serious, Scott. You're lucky I didn't find any of your sexting. Who is this number?"

"Mitchie, I wouldn't send anything like that to anyone but you. It's just not an important thing... Just a relative, I swear."

"A relative? Prove it. Call the number."

Scott exhaled loudly, and took the phone from him. "You're kidding. I mean I'll call the number if it'll make you happy, but... It's kind of annoying that you don't trust me."

"You know that I love you, but... It's hard to believe when I see messages like these going to an unknown number. Why wouldn't you put a relative into your contacts?"

Scott rolled his eyes, calling the number regardless. "It hurts less if I pretend I don't know who it is."

He paused then, and waited for the familiar voicemail. "Hey, this is Connie! Leave it at the beep."

Mitch stared at Scott, mouth dropped a little. "Oh fuck... Is that your mom?"

Scott shoved his phone in his pocket. "Are you done questioning me now?" He tossed the jeans at Mitch, letting them fall over Mitch's shoulder.

Mitch stared at him. "Baby... I'm sorry. You and your mom are talking again? Since when?"

"Last week. She texted me to tell me that she found a boyfriend or something. I don't know."

Mitch stepped forward to try to take Scott's hand. "What?" His voice was as soft as ever, knowing how tough of a subject this was. "Baby, why didn't you say anything?"

Scott pulled his hand away and shrugged. "Doesn't matter. Put those jeans on."

"Can we please talk about this? I thought you didn't want to speak to her."

"I didn't." He spat, almost angrily. "But she's my mother."

"So? What did she say to you? Just the thing about her boyfriend?"