Seventy Three

That morning, Scott was holding out a cup of coffee toward Mitch when he climbed in the car.

Mitch sat down, tossed his bag in the backseat of the truck, and took the coffee. "You're an angel."

Scott just smirked and began to drive. "Thanks."

Mitch took a small sip of it and then reached over to grab Scott's bicep tightly. "This is so good. What is this?"

"I don't know. I told the lady I needed the most delicious thing to give to my boyfriend."

Mitch read the label on the side of the cup. "Wow... It's damn good."

"Glad to hear it. Text me what it is, would you? So I can remember?"

"Gotcha." Mitch responded, immediately doing as he was asked.

"How'd you sleep last night, Cutie?"

"Pretty good. I was crazy tired from all the homework I had."

"Oh that's good. How many hours?"

"Like... Seven maybe?"

"Good. That's good."

Mitch glanced over at him. "So cute how much you care about me."

Scott glanced over. "Just want to make sure you're healthy."

"I am. Promise." Mitch responded, sliding his hand down to hold Scott's hand, where it was sitting in Scott's lap. "You didn't have to buy me coffee, you sweet, sweet man."

Scott grinned a little. "I'd do anything to make you smile."

"Then you should've gotten me some more doughnuts."

Scott's smile dropped, and he stopped the car in the middle of the residential street he was on. "We can go get some if you want."

Mitch giggled at him. "I'm kidding. Just kidding." He gestured at the road. "Proceed."

Scott kept staring at him. "You sure? I'll run in and get you--"

"No!" Mitch laughed again, leaning over to grab Scott's face with both hands to pull him closer and kiss him. "God, you're cute."

Scott didn't respond to the kiss at all, and when Mitch moved away, Scott spoke again. "You're sure? It's not a big deal if--"

"Honey, no. It's fine." Mitch assured him.

Scott kept driving, but he was uneasy and Mitch could tell. "Mitchie, we could go get breakfast or something if you wanted to. What if I came to get you a little earlier tomorrow and we went to breakfast?"

"If you want to. I'm okay with that."

"Cool. Sounds like fun. Pancakes and stuff."

"I love pancakes."

"But you like waffles more."

"I do. You know me so well." Mitch paused a second, glancing out the window. "Hey... Scottie?"

"Yeah, babe?"

"Can we... Maybe go get those doughnuts?"

*

Mitch walked out of his science class, Alex walking right beside him. "Al, if you actually applied the equation maybe it would make more sense."

"No, because the equation itself doesn't make sense. That's my point."

"Ohh." Mitch paused, holding the door open for Alex. "Okay, well... That's easy. I can teach you that."