Hundred Thirty Six

When Scott walked back to the lobby after having dropped off he and Mitch's bags in the hotel room, he spotted his mom sitting with Mitch at a small table laughing as they looked at her phone screen. 

Scott snuck close enough to eavesdrop on their conversation, knowing he was a very Ferb-looking baby.

Mitch giggled and swiped to a new picture. "Look at how chubby his little cheeks are. I wish he was still all squishy like that."

"Me too. Now he's built like a mountain."

"He's beautiful though. Wouldn't have him any other way."

Connie stopped scrolling to smile at him. "He talks about you the same way, y'know. No doubt in my mind that you're perfect for each other."

"People tell me that all the time. But... I'll just never feel like I'm enough for him, I guess. He feels the same, I know. And... I think it's just because we compliment each other's strong and weak points, so it balances out even though we both think we're lacking. Like... I could never run a mile in less then ten minutes, and he can do it in nearly 6."

"I think that's fantastic, Mitch. I really do. I feel the need to thank you for being there for him, when his father and I failed to do so. I know Avi was a huge contributor also, but... He just needed someone to love him unconditionally, and... You're him."

"I like to think so... Can I ask about you two..? You and Scott, I mean. I know that's kind of intrusive, being as this is the first time we've spoken. But... I just want to understand him better."

"I think we should do that when he's here to defend himself."

Mitch nodded quickly. "Of course, of course. I'm sorry, I didn't mean to--"

"No, no, honey. It's fine." She sat back a little. "Scott has told me so much about you. But let me just say, even as nice as he was, you're so much more amazing in person. I can't even fathom how he came to meet you, but I'm grateful regardless."

"Thank you for saying that. I was really nervous to meet you..." Mitch admitted, looking down at his hands. 

For whatever reason, Scott decided he was going to walk in right then, taking a seat next to Mitch. "Hey... How embarrassing did it get..?"

"I showed him the video of you singing that Christmas song."

Scott immediately looked away with a sigh. "Jesus... Went for the nuclear option early on, then."

Mitch giggled, but suddenly sprung out of his seat. "Oh no, I forgot your coffee. I'm sorry, let me just--"

Scott grabbed his arm, pulling him back just to kiss him. "It's fine, babygirl. I'll get it."

Mitch handed him the card. "Are you sure? I feel bad, I was just distracted is all."

"No, it's perfectly fine, baby. I'm glad you two are getting along." He mumbled the last sentence before walking over to the counter to order his own drink. 

Mitch watched him for a second, and then sat down. "Shoot, I totally forgot..."

Connie smiled at him. "You're such a sweet boy, Mitch. I've never heard Scott use so many terms of endearment in one day. It's... Amazing, really."

Mitch blushed a little. "Oh, thank you..."

Scott walked back over to sit down again. "So what's the plan exactly, Ma?"

"I'm... Not really sure. I just drove on down here to meet him. Maybe we could get dinner..? An early dinner, at least. Or... Go do something?"

Scott looked to Mitch, who was just smiling. Once he saw Scott's attention on him, he frowned a little. "Oop-- Did I miss something..?"