Hundred Forty Two

Avi froze, staring at him with wide eyes.

Scott immediately grabbed Mitch around the waist to pull him back a step. "Mitch, what the fuck are you--?"

Mitch tried to pry Scott's arms off of him. "He hurt Alex! We were only gone for a day, and his selfish ass used that day to--!"

"Baby, the story is kinda complicated."

"No it isn't!" Mitch was finally able to shove Scott off of him. "Are you serious? Alex said no!"

Avi tried to defend himself. "I know he did, Mitch. I'm sorry."

"Oh, sorry? You're sorry? Well that makes it all okay then, doesn't it?" Mitch snapped. 

Scott put a hand on his arm. "Mitch, please. You're not listening."

"I don't need to listen! Alex called me in tears because of what you did!"

"And he told you that Avi forced him into it?"

"He told me the beginning of the story, and I figured the rest out for myself." He turned back to Avi. "And I just want you to know that you're a sad, pathetic--"

"Mitch, stop." Scott snapped at him. "The beginning of the story, isn't the whole story. Okay? I'm on the same page that you are, babe. It's never okay to do that to someone. But... Avi asked for permission a little later, and Alex gave it wholeheartedly."

Mitch stared at him. "I don't believe you. You're being biased right now, do you know that? Alex. Said. No. Why are you dismissing that detail so quickly?"

Avi sat forward again. "Guys, please. I don't want you to argue over something that isn't yours to argue about."

Mitch turned quickly. "It is mine to argue about. You hurt my best friend. I can't believe you'd do that, even knowing what that coach did to him. You fucking asshole."

Scott put a hand on his arm again. "Mitch, don't call him that. I understand your argument, but you and I don't know the whole story, so it's pointless for us to argue about it."

Mitch crossed his arms over his chest. "It's not pointless. I'm defending my sweet, kind, easily manipulated best friend. Who doesn't deserve any of this, let me remind you."

Scott rolled his eyes at him, and then reached out to slide his hands along Mitch's abdomen, resting on his hips. Mitch struggled a little because of his stubborn nature, but Scott kept him in place. "Let me run a scenario past you, and you tell me what you think."

"Rape isn't okay, Scott Richard. Not in any scenario."

"I know, baby. Believe me, I do."

"Then what are you--?"

"Just listen to me for a minute. Suppose... Suppose Avi came onto him a little, and Alex got nervous because of what happened to him with the coach. But when Avi continued what he was doing, and Alex realized that he was gonna be okay and Avi wasn't gonna hurt him, so he decided to tell Avi that it was okay."

"Fine. If that's your hypothetical, fine. Then explain to me why he called me in tears yesterday."

"So maybe he was sore afterwards or something, and it reminded him of the coach. What about that?"

Avi spoke up softly, looking at his hands in his lap. "Or maybe somebody confessed that they loved him... And he didn't know what to do."

Scott looked over quickly. "What? Avi you didn't tell me you--"

"Yeah. I know." Avi mumbled back.

Mitch was staring at Scott. "And what if you're wrong? What if this asshole over here decided to manhandle Alex into something he didn't want to do? As if he hasn't been traumatized enough?"

"Well that's just it, right? We don't know. So you and I can't have this argument."

"Sucks, because we're having it. I'm not gonna lay off of this until I know for sure that Alex is okay."

"Fine. That's fine." Scott muttered with an irritated tone. He leaned down toward Mitch's lips to kiss him, but Mitch turned his head and stepped back. 

Mitch cleared his throat a little. "I'm gonna drive myself to school today, if that's okay. I need time to think."

Scott looked offended in an instant. "I don't have to remind you that this didn't happen to us, right? This was Avi and Alex. Not you and I."

"And yet, you're still choosing Avi's side over mine."

"I'm not picking sides, Mitch. This isn't middle school."

"Okay great. Make fun of my legitimate opinions."

"Mitch, I'm not--"

"Whatever. I'll see you in class." Mitch reached past him to grab his backpack, and then he turned to walk back toward his house. 

Scott tried again. "Mitchie, wait."

"See you at school."

Avi looked at Scott, frowning a little. "I'm sorry, dude..."

"Not your fault. He's just upset." Scott watched Mitch until he got into the house safely, and then he turned to walk back to the drivers side of the car. 

*

Mitch sat down beside Scott in history class, putting his bag on the floor and staring at Scott for a few seconds. 

Scott finally acknowledged him, glancing over. "Staring at me isn't gonna make me talk to you, Mitch. You could just say hi like anyone else."

"I'm sorry, Scott." Mitch paused to think. "I overreacted this morning... I just... After listening to Alex cry over the phone for like three hours, I was really upset."

"I understand. But I need you to remember that I slept beside Avi last night, as he also cried for hours on end. I don't even think he slept last night."

"I'm not gonna feel bad for him.. Until I understand what's going on." Mitch shook his head, looking down at his lap. "He sounded so scared, Scottie... You don't even know."

Scott nodded slowly, and then patted a spot on his desk. "Come here a sec, baby."

Mitch glanced at the clock. "Class is gonna start in five--"

"I don't care. Please, Mitch."

Mitch stood from his seat, sheepishly looking around at the other students in their desks as he hopped up to sit on the side of Scott's desk, his legs hanging down. 

Scott moved his seat to be directly beside Mitch's legs, grabbing one of his calves and then leaning down to kiss his thigh. "I'm sorry for arguing, babe. I just... I'm a protective person. And I'm sorry for not taking your side, I just... I don't know what to think. I think we need to talk to them. That's all."

Mitch leaned down a little to kiss his cheek, his fingers gently holding Scott's chin. "I agree."

Scott stared into his eyes, smiling a little. "Can I have a kiss, please?"

"Since you asked so nicely." Mitch mumbled, quickly leaning in to kiss him. 

Scott had to break away as soon as Mitch tried to open his mouth into the kiss, knowing Mitch would discover the piercing. He cleared his throat awkwardly. "Class is gonna start soon, babe."

Mitch frowned at him. "You never deny me the kisses I require."

"Sorry, baby. I'm just tired... Avi kept me up."

"I understand." Mitch let go of Scott's chin. "I love you, Scottie the hottie."

Scott grinned up at him. "And I love you too, Bitchie Mitchie."

Mitch's jaw dropped a little in mock offense. "Okay, rude."

"Lemme think of a different one... How about Mitch the snitch? No..." He looked away, trying to think of a new rhyme. "Mitch my irrigation ditch."

"What the fuck?" Mitch giggled a little, and then grabbed Scott's chin again to bring their faces close together. "Let me see your pupils. Are you high on something?"

Scott chuckled at him. "No. I promise."

**