Forty Seven

Mitch found a bandaid in the car, and he gently placed it on Scott's face where he'd been scratched with the glass.

Mitch then eyed him up and down. "Does it hurt terribly?"

"No. Not at all, actually."

"I'm really sorry about all of this... I didn't know."

"It's okay. But at least now you understand why I've been trying to keep you two away from each other. If he ever did anything to hurt you, I'd..." Scott shook his head.

"Honey, it's--"

"I'd never be able to forgive myself."

Mitch didn't get the chance to answer, because Alex and Avi walked out then.

*

At Avi's house, Alex set up all the food on the living room table.

Avi's mom immediately came to Scott to hug him. "How are you, sugar?"

"I'm okay."

She moved back, seeing the bandaid on his face. "What happened here?"

Scott put his hand over the spot. "Oh, nothing."

She squinted a little, but nodded, placing her hand on his back. "Let's get you some clothes, okay?"

Mitch sat next to Alex, as Alex passed him a few boxes. "These ones, right?"

Mitch nodded quickly, watching Scott walk away with Avi's mother.

Avi sat down too. "So tell me, Mitch. What happened?"

"I didn't see it, but I heard glass shatter. And when I went to see what happened, his dad threw a beer bottle at the wall behind Scott, so... I think he got hit."

Alex nodded slowly. "Oh, wow... Poor guy..."

Mrs. Kaplan had to clean out the wound, as she asked Scott to sit on the edge of the bathtub so she could reach him easier.

Scott flinched a few times, but remained quiet.

"Been a while since I've seen you, Scott. Avi says you've found a boyfriend though? I'm glad to hear that."

"Yeah... He's the sunshine in my life."

"Aw that's sweet. I can't wait to meet him. Avi says he's the most adorable thing."

"Oh, you didn't see him? He's here."

She paused. "Avi let you bring your boyfriend over to spend the night?"

"Yes, Ma'am, but I promise we won't do anything, I'll sleep on the floor or--"

"Don't be silly, sugar! I was only messing with you. If he's that important to you, by all means, do whatever you'd like."

Scott smiled a little. "Thanks, Mom."

"You're welcome, honey. Did you get another tattoo?"

"Since the last time I've seen you? Quite a few."

"Did you get any of them for your boyfriend?"

"At least three."

She nodded slowly, putting a small finishing bandage on his face. "He must be pretty important to you."

"He is. He really really is. He makes me feel like... Like I'm not the stupid, rebellious kid everyone thinks I am. He makes me feel normal."

"Normal?"

"Even with all the shit I come home to with my parents, even with the way I get treated at school... He makes me forget all of it."

"Oh.. That's wonderful."