Hundred Eighteen

Avi drove Mitch to school the next morning, and he even brought the coffee that Scott told him to bring. 

Mitch could only smile at how familiar it was, and he even sang along lightly to the radio just like he would've if Scott were around. 

When they pulled into a parking spot, Mitch turned the music down and spoke quietly to Avi. "Hey, uh... I know what Scott said to you. But you don't have to hang out with me if you don't want to."

Avi shrugged once, turning the car off. "Sorry, I'm kinda rough in the morning. Didn't mean to seem like an asshole. I'll be better after lunch, promise."

"No, no, I just mean in general. If there's someone else you wanna hang out with, by all means, do so."

Avi looked over at him. "No, it's okay. I know you and I are kind of... Friends by default, because Alex is yours and so's Scott. But Scott's also mine, and Alex... I'm working on. But I think you and I are decent. Right?"

"I think so... I mean, you're Scott's best friend. And.. I can't thank you enough for all that you've done for him. And... I'd like to get to know you more."

"Oh... Thanks, Kid. I'd like to get to know you more too."

"And you're sure it's okay if I hang around for a few days? I don't wanna bug you or like... Ruin your 'tough guy' reputation..."

"I don't have a reputation. But... Thanks for your concern I guess."

Mitch giggled a little, smiling at him. "You're welcome. I'm sorry you're having a bad morning, though."

"I'm just not a morning person, that's all."

Mitch frowned a little, and then offered his coffee. "Do you want a sip?"

Avi glanced at him, smiled a little, and took the travel mug to take a small sip. "Thanks, Kid."

*

Walking to lunch was easy enough, though someone did shout some profanity at Mitch as they walked out of the hallway. 

But all Avi did was march over, grab the kid's shirt, and ask for his full name. Avi then texted that name to Scott, and told him there was business to take care of when Scott gets back.

Mitch frowned at him as they kept walking. "You didn't have to do that."

"Yeah I did. Scott would've done worse, so."

As they passed a group of football players, Avi put a hand on Mitch's lower back to keep him walking, glaring at the entirety of the group.

Mitch shook his head slowly. "Wow, did Scott give you a guidebook or something?"

"No." Avi chuckled a little as they kept walking. "I feel like I'm a bodyguard protecting the Queen or something."

"If you're calling me a queen, I accept."

"Well you've got the cheekbones for it."

Mitch's hands shot up to his cheekbones. "Aw, thank you! That's nice of you."

Avi only grinned, pulling his keys out of his pocket as they approached his car. 

"You even parked near Scott's usual spot. I'll make sure to tell him."

"See if he'll give me a raise."

Mitch didn't quite catch the joke, because of how flat Avi's tone of voice was, and a frown took over his face. "Oh, he's paying you?" He asked, sad that Avi had to be bought to hang out with him.

"No, of course not. I was just kiddin' with you. Sorry."

"Oh okay... Sorry, just got confused..." Mitch opened the door to Avi's car, tossing his backpack in the seat behind him, as he got comfortable.