Fifty Six

Now sitting beside Alex, eating a taco, Mitch moved a little closer to Scott to speak to him quietly. "Thank you."

"You're welcome, babe. I'm sorry you didn't sleep well. Are you feeling any better?"

Mitch nodded once. "Yeah... I'm okay. Thanks for being so nice to me even though I was like... Horrible this morning."

"I understand that you were tired, babe. Just... Promise me, next time they're arguing, you'll call me? Or even text me. Just so I know you're okay."

"Yeah. I will."

Alex stood up, picking up whatever garbage he could fit on the tray so he could throw it out. As he walked off to throw stuff away, he faintly heard Avi thank him, but he didn't turn around.

Which might seem like an asshole move, but truthfully he wasn't sure if he actually heard it or if he was just being hopeful.

When he sat back down, he looked up at Avi. "I'm sorry, did you say something to me?"

"Just thanks for, uh. Doing that."

"No problem."

Mitch decided to spare them the awkwardness, leaning toward Alex. "Thanks for coming with us today. I'm glad to see you eating again."

"Yeah... I feel a lot better. I wish sports weren't so hard."

Scott gave him a sideways glance. "They're a lot harder if you don't eat."

"I am eating. But I just... Have to eat a certain amount of stuff. Calories and all."

Mitch shook his head slowly. "That's so dumb. Sometimes I wish I could hit your coach in the face."

Avi shrugged. "I'd do it."

Scott squeezed Mitch's hand once. "You don't hit people. I hit them for you."

It was probably supposed to be cute, but Mitch only agreed with him. "Exactly, so why haven't you done anything yet?"

"What was I supposed to do? You want me to beat up the soccer coach?"

"Um, yes? He's been such an ass to Alex lately, this dumb sport is basically taking over his life. His coach calls him out on eating too much, threatens to denote him from Captain--"

Alex stopped him. "Mitchie, you're sweet, but... Please don't talk about me like I'm a victim. I'm committing myself to the team, because I love it. This is my passion, and.. If that means I have to deal with a shit coach then so be it."

Someone spoke up behind him. "Shit coach?"

When Alex turned, he first panicked because he thought it was his coach, but sighed a little at the sight of one of his teammates. "Hey, Riley."

Riley leaned over the back of his seat. "You think he's a bad coach?"

"No. Just... He's not fair, per se."

"Oh." Riley leaned away. "Weird."

Alex didn't seem as intimidated as Mitch thought he would be; Even Mitch was concerned that Alex would get in trouble.

Alex just took a sip of his drink. "You gonna snitch on me?"

Riley shrugged. "I don't know. Should I?"

"Yeah. Maybe you should."

Riley didn't quite understand that, and the look on his face soon showed Mitch that he was one of the underclassmen. "I should? No, that's dumb. You're the best on the team."