Sixty Two

Scott had fallen asleep again in Mitch's hospital bed.

Mitch was just happily smelling the flowers that surrounded him, a taco in his hand.

Scott woke up suddenly, and looked up at him. "Oh shit.. I'm sorry, baby. I didn't mean to--"

"Don't apologize, honey. I understand. Avi told me you're not sleeping well."

"I'm okay... Sorry though."

"Don't be. I really wish you'd gone to school today though..."

"Avi and Alex promised to be here afterward. Avi can get me whatever schoolwork I have, if that'll make you feel better."

"Gosh, I haven't seen Alex in quite some time. How's he doin'?"

"He's alright. Been standing up to his coach a lot more, which is cool."

"Really? Wow. I can't even imagine him doing that."

"Yeah... I think he's been going in at lunch or something."

Mitch tilted his head a little. "Lunch..? To do what?"

"I don't know. His coach just asked him to go in at lunch once, and as far as I know, he has been for the past few days."

"Really? And... He's okay?"

"I haven't really talked to him, babe. Been some other shit on my mind."

Mitch looked away from Scott's general direction. "Yeah... Sorry about that."

He sat up on his elbow a little. "Stop apologizing for this, Mitch. As if this is your fault."

Avi suddenly walked into the room, holding the door open for Alex. "Hope you're not naked."

Scott quickly looked over. "Why on Earth would I be--?"

"You always seem to find a reason."

"Wow." Scott huffed at him. "Fucking rude."

Mitch groaned loudly. "Alexander Kirk, you can't be missing school! It's too important for you to be--"

Alex rushed over to him with a wide smile. "I brought chocolate!"

Mitch frowned at him. "Don't try to bribe my forgiveness."

"Why not? It's chocolate, Mitchie."

Avi suddenly scurried past them. "Ooh you have extra tacos."

Scott rushed out of the bed. "Hey! Those are Mitch's!"

Avi still tried to grab one, and Scott smacked his hand.

Mitch reached out to hold one of Alex's hands. "Scottie, let him have one."

Scott smacked Avi's hand once more, when he reached out again. "No!"

Avi finally turned to him. "If you smack my hand one more time--"

Scott smacked his hand again, eyes locked with Avi's. "You'll, what? Scold me to death?"

Avi took up a defensive position. "I'm about to knock yo' ass out if--"

Alex finally snapped at them both. "Boys! Behave!"

Mitch giggled at that, and Scott's face immediately changed as he smiled at the gleeful noise.

Kirstie suddenly walked in, Kevin knocking on the door once to be polite.

Kirstie walked over to Mitch and opened the pink box of doughnuts in her arms. "These are 'get well soon' doughnuts."

Mitch faced her, and put a hand over his heart. "Oh, Sweetie... That's so nice of you."

Kevin then reached over to point into the box. "I got those glazed ones you like, the maple things, and that pink one with the sprinkles for Scott."

Mitch grinned happily, looking into the box excitedly. "Wow!" He pointed at a white one with rainbow sprinkles on it. "That one's cute."

Kirstie nodded quickly. "Yeah, that one's Kevi--"

Kevin interjected quickly. "He can have it if he wants."

Mitch gave him a sympathetic smile. "Aw... You guys are all so sweet... So kind to me."

A nurse walked in, and she smiled immediately at everyone in the room. "Oh wow! Party in Mitch's room!"

Kevin quickly stepped out of her way. "Pardon me."

She then walked over to Mitch, writing a few things down on her clipboard. "Hi, Mitch! How are you feeling?"

Avi suddenly smacked Scott's leg. "I'm still not done with you."

"Avi, get your own fucking tacos." Scott threatened him quietly, hoping to not interrupt the nurse.

"Come on, man. What kind of best friend are you?"

"It's just a taco."

"But it's--"

"Hang on." As the nurse began to leave, Scott rushed over to follow her out the door. "Can I ask you something?"

As the door shut, Mitch could hear the nurse respond. "Of course, Sugar!"

Mitch then turned to Avi. "Why'd you let him miss school today?"

"Honestly? He and I argued about it for like ten minutes. And of course he got his way, because he always gets his way when it comes to you, Mitch."

Kirstie frowned at Avi. "Are his grades doing okay?"

Avi shrugged, shoving his hands in his pockets. "Yeah I guess. He's always been one of those kids that doesn't do the homework, but kicks ass on all the tests. He's got pretty solid B's and C's I'm sure."

Kevin smiled a little, setting the pink box onto the table with the tacos. "Oh that's good! I'm glad to hear that."

Mitch shook his head slowly. "He needs to be in school... If he keeps cutting class he could need an attendance appeal to graduate."

Kirstie put her hand on Mitch's shin, as she was standing near the foot of his bed. "Honey, it's okay. Don't stress about it."

Mitch pouted, and then pointed at her. "And you're supposed to be in physics taking notes for me." Then he looked at Alex. "And you; I thought you had a game today?"

Alex held his hands behind his back in an almost scared looking position. "I do..."

"So what are you doing here?"

"I'm... Not gonna go today."

"There's no way your coach is gonna let you do that."

"I've been talking to him all week. If I stay in with him at lunch, he... He let's me get away with shit." Alex looked away immediately.

"Alex, that doesn't make any--"

Scott walked back into the room, shoving a folded up piece of paper into his pocket.

Everyone was quiet instantaneously, but Kevin tried to save them as he looked to Mitch. "I took physics last year. I could just give you all my old notes for anything you miss."

Mitch shifted his focus. "Thank you."

Scott walked directly to Mitch, and leaned down to kiss his forehead. "I'll be back in a few minutes, baby."

Mitch grabbed his hand quickly, concern written all over his face. "Where are you going?"

"Nowhere important. Do you need anything while I'm out?"

"Just... Drive safe, okay? Hurry back."

"I will, baby." Scott turned to leave, but Avi was quick to fall into step behind him.

Scott was out the door first, and before Avi could get there, Mitch spoke again. "Now where are you going?"

"Gotta look out for our boy, don't I?"

*