Hundred Sixty Eight

"But why, honey? I'm trying to understand." Mitch ran his hand up and down Scott's back. "Please."

Scott shrugged a little. "I don't know... I can't put it into words. I just don't feel good." He glanced down at his phone, almost out of nervous habit.

"I wish I could understand, Scott... I'm trying to help you, but I don't know how."

"I think...  I need to go. I know we were gonna hang out, but I just.. I need to be alone."

"I understand, baby. But are you sure this is a good time to be alone? You seem like... I mean, if you just don't wanna be around me that's fine."

"It's not you, Mitch. Just... I wanna be alone. Okay?"

Mitch watched him stand up. "That's fine... Text me, okay? And if you need anything, I'm just a phone call away."

Scott nodded, putting a hand on the back of Mitch's head as he bent down to kiss his forehead. "I know. I love you, and... Thank your mom for me, okay?"

*

Scott was grateful to be home, closing his front door. 

But as soon as he tossed his keys onto the dining room table, he heard Avi walk out of his kitchen. "Oh, hey dude! I saw you on the news, that's fucking crazy."

"You could've just called me."

"I know, but I wanted to make sure you were okay. Sorry, I didn't mean to--"

"Why are you talking so loud? You're giving me a headache."

"Fuck, are you okay? You're acting weird."

"I just wanna be alone, Avi." He checked his phone again, possibly thinking Mitch would've texted him already. Or at least that's what Avi assumed.

Alex suddenly walked into the kitchen, having come from down the hall. "Oh good, you're home! Avi was worried--"

Scott put his phone down loudly. "What the fuck, Avi? I gave you my keys for emergencies, not so you could have a house to yourself to fuck a--"

"We didn't do anything, Scott. We literally came here to make sure you were okay, and you're being a fucking dick."

Scott stared at him for a second, and then pointed at the door. "Get the fuck out of my house. I'm dead serious."

Alex was standing completely still, face almost fearful. "Scott, I'm so sorry for invading your space. I didn't realize--"

Avi grabbed him by the arm. "Forget it, Alex. Dickhead wants to be alone."

"But he's upset, we shouldn't leave--"

"Shh. Just go wait in the car, babe. We'll go check on Mitch."

Alex obeyed him without a word, head bowed.

Avi waited by the door. "I'm just gonna ask this once. Are you okay? Do you need anything before I go?"

"No."

"You don't need anything? Or you're not okay?"

"Both. Go away."

"Scott--"

"You said you'd ask once. So go."

"Why are you being such an asshole? Take some shots or something and calm the fuck down."

Scott kept his back to his friend, shaking his head slowly. "Just go."

Avi sighed loudly, and then turned to leave, closing the front door a little harder than he needed to.