Thirty Eight

The day of Kirstie's play was one of the most chaotic days of the entire school year. 

Kirstie had been pulled out of class to rehearse a few more times and settle a few more wardrobe things before the show, as well as Kevin who'd offered to work backstage.

Mitch and Alex had gone to the library during lunch to study a little more, though they were studying for different things. Avi and Scott then went out to get them all coffee, before meeting them in the library.

Scott quickly sat beside Mitch, placing some coffee in front of him. "Honey, please take a break. Even just five minutes. You're going to give yourself a headache."

Mitch shook his head, not even looking up. "Can't. Gotta study." 

Alex on the other hand, immediately closed his textbook and grabbed his own coffee, looking over at Avi. "Thank you for this." 

Avi just shrugged. "So you have a game today? Do you want me to run out and get you like... A protein bar or something? Maybe it's not smart for you not to eat..." 

Alex just shrugged. "I'm sure I'll be okay. I mean.. I hope so. Coach is really freaking out about this one." 

Avi stood then. "Y'know what? Let's go get lunch. You've studied enough for this test to at least pass, and that's all you're going for right? I don't want you to pass out in the middle of your game." 

Alex looked down at his textbook. "I dunno... This is more important." 

"Athletes need to eat, Kirk. Even I know that. Get up, let's go." 

Scott looked up. "He's right. Go, Alex."

As they cleared out of the room, Scott closed Mitch's textbook right in front of his face. "Come on, Cutie. Take a break." 

Mitch finally looked over at him, which is when Scott noticed how tired he looked. "Scott, please. Just leave me alone." 

Scott leaned over, placing both hands on Mitch's face to get a better look at him. "Oh, honey... Mitch, did you sleep at all last night? Did you eat breakfast?" 

"I'm fine! Just leave me--" 

"No, Mitch. Why didn't you sleep? If you were worried about this test, you could've called me." 

"I didn't want to wake you up. And... I just studied a little more to help me sleep." 

Scott moved his chair over a little, picking up Mitch's coffee and passing it to him. "Here. Please drink this." 

Mitch nodded, taking a deep breath before doing so. "Is it possible..? Like, do you think I could ask Avi to get us something to eat after he picks me up?" 

"I'm sure he wouldn't mind." 

Mitch leaned into Scott's side, sipping his coffee again. "Thank you so much... God, I'm freaking out. I don't know if I can do this. There's too much on the line, and my parents expect so much from me..." 

Scott reached around him to rub one of his shoulders. "I know, babe. They put so much pressure on you... But it's because they know what you're capable of; They know how smart you are. Stop studying like this is an SAT or something. You've given everything you can to this test, so just... Stop."

Mitch nodded slowly. "Okay... I'll stop. If I study any more, I think my hair will start falling out or something."

"Hey... Do you want to come over tonight? Dad's gonna be gone for a few more weeks. You can tell your parents you're at Kirstie's if you want. I just... Want you to relax for a night. I know you've been studying for, what? Two weeks?"