Hundred Twenty Nine

Scott stared at him for a second, and then looked to Alex. "You, stay here."

Alex just nodded once, unsure exactly what he was agreeing to. 

Scott looked at Kirstie too. "You, stay here." And then he gently grabbed Mitch's chin with one hand, only to lean forward and kiss him once. "And you stay here."

Mitch watched him step away. "Scott--"

"No." He grabbed Avi's arm tightly. "We'll be outside for ten minutes. Make yourselves at home. Mitch knows where everything is."

Avi didn't say anything at all until Scott pulled him outside, and they sat down together on the porch step. 

Scott was the one to initiate the conversation. "I wanna start by saying I'm not mad about you pushing Mitch. I should be, but... He's okay, and I know that you weren't upset with him when you did this."

"I'm sorry." He mumbled back, staring out across the street. 

"Apologize to him, not me. Anyway... I know you're upset because you and Alex are breaking up before you're even together. But all he wants is for you to tell him you care, Avi. That's not so much to ask."

"But I don't want to be his boyfriend, Scott. And that's what he wants."

Scott looked over at him. "You don't? Since when?"

"I don't want to commit to someone, just to have them leave. You used to be the same way, but Mitch is something else."

"And so is Alex. I know exactly where you're coming from, Av. I really do. But you can't be alone forever, because it's tearing you up inside. You have to at least try."

"But... Can't it wait? I've already let Alex into my heart way too much, and... He means too much to me."

"What does that mean?"

"Means that even with us just arguing, I'm fucking hurt about it. I don't like that he has that kind of power over me."

"If I'm being honest... Alex doesn't seem like the type to walk out on someone. If anything I'm sure he'd confront you about whatever was bothering him. That's how Mitch and I have figured it out for so long."

Avi paused to think about that for a bit, almost considering going inside to grab some more beer. "I guess."

"So... Maybe after you guys resolve this argument, you should see if he wants to get coffee sometime. He's not asking for a lot, Avi. You don't have to date him if you really think it won't work out. But at least take him out on a few dates, just to be sure. I don't want you to miss out on this opportunity just because you're not willing to take the leap of faith."

Avi's eyes stayed out at the house across from them, but he leaned into Scott's side a little. "I'll think about it."

Scott put an arm behind him just to rub his back a few times, eyes glued to Avi's face to be sure it was okay. "And Avi..? You'll always be my best friend. I can never thank you enough for what you've done for me ever since we were little. But you have to remember that Mitch is my best friend too."

"I know. It was unfair of me to call you on that... I know how much he means to you."

Scott leaned into him a little more, resting his head on Avi's shoulder as his hand stayed rubbing up and down Avi's spine. "I love you, Kaplan."

"Love you too, Hot-Wing."

After the full ten minutes had gone by, Alex stepped out onto the porch and made eye contact with Scott. "Can I talk to him for a minute?"