Hundred Eighty One

Kevin removed his hand from Mitch's back. "Why don't you lay with him, okay? Maybe that'll calm you both down."

Mitch climbed onto the bed eagerly, laying beside him with arms around his midsection to be careful of the damage. "Feels like we've done this before."

"Yeah, but that was because you were hit with a car. Not for some pussy ass scratch on your--"

"Scott, don't say that word." Mitch responded with a pout. "If I saw you bleeding profusely from someone coming at you with a knife, I'd have brought you here too."

Scott was quiet for a moment, watching Kevin and Avi leave the room to get a doctor, and then Alex whispering something to Kirstie before they stepped out as well.

Mitch looked up at him again, one hand on Scott's chest now. "Babe--"

"Did you hear about Jeff?" Scott asked suddenly, a small smile on his face. "I did that, Mitchie."

"I know you did, babe... I'm proud of you for sticking up for yourself."

Scott's smile widened at those words, but suddenly fell again after. "I'd feel more like a bad ass if I weren't sitting in the hospital for some stupid scratch."

"Will you stop that? Nobody thinks any less of you for being here."

*

Scott's hand stayed flat against his wound the entire walk into his house.

Mitch had a hand on his back, eyes on his face out of concern. "Slow down, honey... We have all the time in the world."

Scott didn't say anything back, but slowed down a little.

Avi tried to give him a smile. "I can stay here for as long as you need."

Alex nodded once, after closing the front door. "I can stay too." But then he turned. "I mean, only if you want me to."

Scott just shrugged, and sat down on the couch with a cringe before exhaling in relief. "It's up to you guys."

Mitch leaned down to kiss his forehead, and then he pulled his phone from his pocket. "I just need to call my mom really quick."

Scott grabbed his wrist quickly, eyes wide and innocent looking. "If you need to go home... Go. Okay? I don't want to be an inconvenience."

Mitch smiled fondly, shaking his head a little. "Baby... You're not an inconvenience. I want to be here."

"But... You guys have stuff to do, and--"

Avi rolled his eyes, walking into the kitchen. "Stop being such a girl, Hotwing. Wanna beer?"

Alex spoke quickly. "He shouldn't drink anything until the medication wears off. How about some water instead?"

Scott pouted at him. "God damn it... I forgot you're all science-y."

"It's not science as much as common sense."

Avi didn't say anything as he went into the kitchen, until he came back and tossed a bottle of water at Scott, and looked at Alex now that Mitch was out of the room. "Want a soda or something?"

"Water is fine, thank you."

"You sure? You can use all the calories you can get."

"No, that's..." Alex glared at him. "Stop trying to make me fat."

"I'm not. But... While we're here can I get you a snack? Like maybe some chocolate or...?"

"Fuck off." Alex responded with a giggle. "Just a water, please."