Fifty

It wasn't until after breakfast that Scott remembered what time Mitch needed to be home.

He leaned toward Mitch at the table. "You should check around the house to make sure you didn't set anything down."

"You're getting ready to go?"

"Your mom wants you home before lunch."

Mitch frowned, standing from the table. "I don't wanna go home..."

"I know. I'm sorry."

Avi's mom came out of the kitchen to find Scott. "Before you go, would you please help me with the dishes?"

Scott stood quickly. "Of course."

He then stood beside Ms. Kaplan to take the dishes she washed and place them in the dishwasher.

She glanced over at him. "I'd like to redo your bandaid before you leave."

"Oh, you don't have to do that."

"I have to clean it, honey. Someone has to mother you, and it's me."

Scott shook his head slowly, putting a few plates into the lower rack on the washer. "You don't have to mother me. I'm okay..."

"Can't you ever just let someone take care of you? I'm not trying to demean you, honey. I just... Want to make sure you're taking care of yourself."

Scott was quiet for a few seconds, and then he nodded slowly. "Yeah... Okay. But we have to hurry; I can't have Mitch home late."

*

Scott rushed Mitch out of the house to drive him home, Avi's mom having taped up his finger, and cleaned out the wound on his head. 

Kirstie left quickly after, and Alex following her. 

As Alex began to walk out of the house, he stopped and turned to Avi. "Is there anything I can help you do? Clean anything, or..?" 

"No, I think we're all good here..." 

"Are you sure? I feel bad leaving your poor mom to clean all of this."

"I can help her. It's okay." 

Alex almost turned toward the door, but he stopped. He turned back, only to set his keys on the table. "I think I'm gonna stay and help... If that's okay." 

Avi's mom walked into the room, smiling at him. "That would be wonderful! If you're sure you don't have anywhere to be?" 

"I already missed my morning practice, so... I'm free until later this afternoon." 

Avi grabbed his arm when Alex moved past him. "You missed a practice? Isn't your coach gonna be pissed?" 

"Yeah, but... It's okay. After what he said to me the last few times I saw him... I don't really wanna be his right hand man anymore." 

"Even if that means you won't be the captain anymore..?" 

"Yeah." Alex looked like he had more to say about it, but he shook it off with a smile. "It's not a big deal." 

"What, are you kidding? You've been exercising like an NFL player ever since you made the team. You're seriously gonna throw that away?" 

"I can still be on the team if I'm not the captain."

"But you deserve to be the captain. You work harder than anyone I've ever met." 

Alex looked at him then, really looked at him. "You think so?"

Avi nodded, and then looked away from him. "Yeah."

Avi's mom walked out of the living room with a plastic trash bag in her hand. "Alex, would you mind cleaning up in here? I think... I could get started on laundry..."

Avi grabbed the bag from her. "I can do it." 

Alex shrugged, moving to the living room. "I can help. It's not a problem."

*

When Scott walked Mitch to his door, he quickly kissed his forehead before ringing the doorbell. 

Nel was the one to open the door, smiling widely at them. "Oh, hi! Lunch is almost ready, what perfect timing." 

Scott brought Mitch's hand up to his lips to kiss the back of his hand once. "I'll see you later, babe. Text me?" 

Before Mitch could answer, Nel reached out toward Scott. "Don't be silly! You have to stay for lunch."

Scott looked to Mitch uncertainly. "Uh.. I mean, if it's okay with you guys..."

Mitch grabbed his hand again. "Of course it's okay. Come on in." 

Nel frowned when Scott walked past him. "Oh goodness, what happened to your face?"

Before Scott could answer, Mike spoke up from the table where he was seated. "Why is he here..? I though Mitchell was with Kirstie." 

Nel shook her head as she closed the front door. "No, no. They all had a group sleepover last night. Kirstie was there, though. She was sending me pictures." 

Mike gestured to Scott. "He was there? You let our son spend the night with his--?" 

"Yes, I did. They all slept in the same room, Mike. I'll let you see all the pictures after lunch, if it'll make you feel better."

Mike stood from the table as he walked away. "Doesn't matter. They've already had sex."

Mitch cringed at how blunt that was, and he stepped closer to Scott as if touching him somehow would give him comfort. "Father... Please." 

Nel waved a hand at her husband. "He's just pouting. We'll have lunch without him."

Scott sat down at the table with Mitch, staring at the table. Nel brought food out, smiling widely. 

She set a plate in front of Scott, and then Mitch, before running back to the kitchen to grab one for herself.

Mitch quickly began eating, but glanced over at Scott to see him sitting silently. "You're not hungry?"

"I'm fine." Scott began to eat, hoping to lower his suspicions. So Mitch let it go. 

It wasn't until after they'd eaten, when Nel stood up to take their plates.

Mitch waited until she was gone. "Scott... What's wrong?"

"Nothing."

"You're upset. I know you are."

Nel sat back down, overhearing him. "He's upset? Why?" 

Scott shook his head, trying to give them a smile. "I, uh... I know what it's like to grow up in a split house. And... I hate that every time I come here, I seem to divide your family." 

Mitch moved his chair a little closer, placing his hand on Scott's leg. "That's not your fault. It's just gonna take him a bit to get used to it."

"Is there anything I can do..? Like if I wore a jacket when I came over to hide my--"

Nel interrupted him. "Don't change a thing about yourself. He'll come around."

"But if it would help... I don't mind." 

Nel waved a dismissive hand at him. "No, no. Mitch loves you exactly how you are, and that's good enough for me. Mike will have to figure it out."

Mike walked back into the room. "Oh, I'll have to figure it out?" 

"Yeah, you will. Why are you fighting this so much? He makes Mitch happy, isn't that enough?" 

"Nel, really? You really don't care at all that they're sexually active? Mitchell isn't even out of school yet. I guess his boyfriend doesn't have any plans for his education, but our boy's going to college! He can't be getting distracted with such a--" 

Nel stood from her seat, looking at Mitch. "Why don't you boys go on to Mitch's room?"

Mitch pulled Scott out of his seat. "Yes, Ma'am."

*