Hundred Forty Three

Start from the beginning

Alex exhaled loudly, sounding almost defeated. "I know it doesn't make sense... I don't understand it either. I'm a mess, and I already hate myself so you don't have to go doin' it for me."

Mitch frowned at him. "Honey... Don't say that. You're allowed to make your own choices. I know Avi has been cold to you, in terms of not wanting to go public and/or respecting your values in that way... But it was completely up to you to be with Jake in any capacity. And you don't have to justify yourself to anyone."

"B-But what happens when Avi finds out?"

"Then you tell him the truth. You were scared, and hurt, and... You made a decision. And... I think you guys need to have a real conversation about it."

Alex shook his head again. "Sure."

Scott brought Mitch's hand up to his lips to kiss once, for no reason apart from one inside of his head somewhere. 

Mitch glanced at him, but looked back at Alex. "Honey, it's gonna be okay. How did Jake.. Handle all of it?"

Alex's frown deepened a little. "That makes me feel worse... I know he's been lookin' my way for a while, and... He was really excited about it all... Very nice to me afterward too. Oh God, and I have to see him at practice today, fuck..."

Scott looked at him in the mirror. "What if I hung around after school or something? Mitch and I could hang out on the bleachers or whatever, and then if anything happens, we'll be right there."

"Whatever you guys wanna do. You don't have to. I made a decision, and I have to deal with the results and consequences."

*

As they walked back into the school after lunch, Mitch carrying a milkshake in his hand, Avi came out of nowhere to greet them. 

He smiled at Scott first. "Hey, Kid."

Scott grinned. "Hey, where were you? Looked for you this morning."

"Got here late. Slept in." Mitch offered his milkshake to Avi, but Avi grinned and shook his head. "No thanks, little guy."

Mitch pouted at him. "I'm not little."

Scott winked at Avi. "He's not."

Mitch smacked his arm. "Not like that! I mean, like... Height wise. I'm like average, I think."

Avi shrugged a little. "I just called you that because you're skinny. Wasn't trying to offend you."

"No, I'm not offended, just--"

"He's not little, Avi. Italian rhymes with stallion y'know? Not as big as me, maybe, but--"

Mitch smacked him again. "Scott Richard, I won't kiss you for a month if you keep that up."

Scott pouted at him and looked down. "Sorry."

Avi raised an eyebrow at them, and then finally looked at Alex, who'd been avoiding his eyes the entire time. "Hey, Lex. How are you?"

"I'm fine. You?"

"I'm alright." Avi tilted his head a little. "Is something wrong? You look nervous about something."

"Nervous? Why would I be nervous?" Alex responded passively.

Avi tried to grab his hand, but Alex flinched away. 

Alex shook his head quickly. "I'm sorry... Can we talk in private, maybe?"

Mitch glanced at him. "I'll tell our teacher you'll be late."