"Oh okay." Mitch glanced behind him, just to make sure the lab station behind he and Alex's was doing the same thing. "No worries, I got it. You wanna start writing stuff down then? I think the reaction is supposed to be like--"

"Does he talk about me at all?"

Mitch looked over at him. "What?"

Alex shook his head quickly. "Shit, sorry... Of course he doesn't. That was dumb, I'm sorry. Let me, um... Let me grab a pencil."

Mitch tried to grab his arm, but he walked toward his desk.

Mitch shook his head slowly, sighing.

Alex rushed back over, fixing the goggles on his face. He tossed the worksheet onto the lab table, and then began scribbling down a few things. "Alright go ahead."

Mitch was about to, the test tube hovering above the beaker for him to mix the two chemicals. "Listen, Alex... He didn't mean to be rude. He just... He was scared."

"Let's just concentrate on the assignment."

"But he--"

"Please."

Mitch shook his head slowly. "Fine. You ready?"

"Mhmm. Let's blow some shit up."

*

Mitch walked outside the classroom, Scott immediately grabbing his hand. "Hey babe. Where to? I was thinking we could get tacos, or--"

"Can Alex come with us?"

Alex looked up from his phone, having been walking behind Mitch. "Oh, no no. I'm good. Was gonna go run around the field a little... Extra practice and stuff."

Scott shook his head once. "Nonsense. We're getting tacos."

"I shouldn't really be eating tacos."

"You can have a cheat day. Who cares?"

"Coach can always tell. I have no idea how."

"Well fuck him. You're eating a taco. Maybe two."

"No seriously--"

Mitch snapped at him. "Alex, we're not asking. You're coming with us."

Alex slowly slid his phone into his pocket. "Yeah... Okay."

Unfortunately, when they got to Scott's car, Avi was leaning against his car door.

The instant Alex saw him, he stopped walking. "Oh I just remembered I forgot to--"

"Nice try." Mitch responded quickly, grabbing his hand to make sure he kept walking.

Alex kept his eyes on the ground as they approached.

Scott quickly walked up to Avi. "Hey, what's up?"

Avi looked up from his phone. "I need to talk to you about something. Figured lunch was a good time. You and Mitch goin' out?"

"Yeah, uh... Alex is coming with us, actually."

Avi nodded, reacting as if Scott had just said no. "Oh right. After school then, or something?"

"You can come with us if you want."

"I'm certain that Alex wouldn't be okay with that."

"You guys need to talk. This is stupid, for you two to be avoiding each other."

"But it's my fault that--"

"Get in the car, Av."

"But--"

"Avi."

Avi sighed loudly, and then got into the back seat.

Scott hopped into the drivers seat, and glanced over at Mitch, who looked just as nervous as he did.

Alex kept his hands in his lap, looking out the window.

Mitch turned to look at Avi, seated behind Scott, and smiled at him. "Hi. How are you?"

Avi refused to even glance at Alex, looking up at Mitch and not straying for a single second. "I'm okay."

"Oh good. That's good, um..." Mitch didn't know what else to say, looking over at Scott to help him.

Scott didn't do anything though, more focused on getting out of the parking lot without being hit by some dumb high schooler.

Avi hated the silence that was definitely his fault. He forced himself to look at Alex. "How's your day been, Alex?"

Alex couldn't look though. "Okay I guess."

Avi nodded once. "You had that science class today, right? Mitch told me once how much you love it."

"Yeah... I'm just good at it."

"That doesn't surprise me, as smart as you are."

Alex finally glanced over, but only for a second. "Thanks."

Mitch immediately reached over to hold one of Scott's hands, giving him a look.

Scott squeezed his hand lightly. "I know."

*