Chapter 40

(A/N)

Might wanna go back and scan over 35 xD (I had to, so.)

*********

After arriving home from the hospital, most of the pack went right to bed.

Grace was in Landon's room, but when the Alphas all returned home, she went to her own room to get some sleep before school.

Scott hadn't said anything at all on the way home, and Avi just assumed he was extremely tired after what he'd gone through.

After arriving home, Kevin checked Scott's bandages one more time before he and Todrick went upstairs to bed.

Avi stopped him. "I don't think Scott and I will get much sleep tonight. So if we're not awake tomorrow, would you please drive the kids to school?"

"Of course, Alpha."

Avi then followed Scott into the kitchen, where Scott thought he could have a second alone.

Avi stood behind him quietly for a moment. "Hey... Rookie?"

"Yeah?" Scott responded softly, his back to Avi as he leaned on the counter and gripped it tightly.

"Are you okay?"

"Let's see. I almost killed three people tonight, and then almost got shot. So. I'm gonna say 'not really'."

"Understandable. You were just protecting your Omega."

"No, I... I get that. That justifies all the horrible stuff I did, besides what I did to Mitch. How could I do that, Avi? He means everything to me. And... He's gonna be bruised for at least a week."

"You didn't know what you were doing, Rookie."

"That's unacceptable. My most important duty as an Alpha, and as a husband, is to protect him. And tonight I failed to do that."

"No you didn't. You saved his life. And you also saved him from a sexual assault if I remember correctly. You just got... A little carried away."

"How irresponsible... I feel awful."

"Don't. You have no control over Him. Mitchell knows that."

Mitch walked into the room right then, worried about Scott as well. "Alphas..?"

Scott glanced at him, and then looked away, as if he didn't deserve to see him.

Avi humored the Omega. "What's up, Tiny?"

"Scottie..? Are you okay?"

Scott shook his head once, not wanting to lie.

Mitch walked forward slowly. "Aw honey... What's wrong?"

Scott just looked at him. "I hurt you. The one thing I swore I'd never do, and... I did it."

"You didn't really hurt me, honey. And... It wasn't really you anyway."

"Doesn't matter. I should have enough self control to--"

"Scottie, please don't do that to yourself. You knew that letting Him out was your only option. And He saved my life. So, just... Forget about the other stuff."

Scott frowned at him. "Will you please.. Tell me what happened? Maybe hearing it from you will convince me that it's okay..."

Mitch nodded a few times. "If it'll help."

Avi left to go upstairs then, knowing to leave them to it.

Mitch sat down in front of the counter in one of the tall bar stools, Scott sitting beside him.