Chapter 128

"He shed his skin . " Ed looked in disbelief at Mehen . For an instant, he believed that another serpent appeared out of thin air, but in reality, Mehen molted . Ed's disbelief came from the fact that the process that should have taken a long time was done in under a second . The skin lying on the ground was being burned by Amaterasu while Mehen was fine .

"I'm guessing the recuperation period will be short as well . " Indeed Mehen's body that should be weakened was now looking better than before . The scales that shined before were now glistening . However, it didn't look like Mehen could play with this technique as much as he wanted . Ed could feel that his QI dropped a lot compared to before .

This didn't mean that Mehen's assault was going to be any weaker . His strongest weapon was his gigantic body . The magic attacks and abilities supported him in battle and didn't deal a finishing blow . He was now using his surroundings to his advantage . He could maneuver easily in the sand, but to others, it disturbed their movement . He was now dodging faster than ever, as well as hitting stronger than ever . The only ones able to do any damage to him were Ed and Gobuta who had overwhelming raw power . Yet, even those attacks didn't do much .

"I guess you need a giant to fight a giant . " Ed activated one of his Mangekyo Sharingan's abilities . He was suspended in the air while a glowing golden energy surrounded his body . First, a skeletal structure appeared . Afterward, it was clad in armor like flesh . Ed was able to activate his Susanoo to the greatest extent he could for now . He was able to invoke a humanoid Susanoo . He was also able to use his Ki to make a giant sword . Now with both legs and arms, Ed's Susanoo was the one doing the moving instead of Ed .

The two giants started duking it out . Mehen's size was still bigger than Ed's Susanoo, but that was only taking the whole body into consideration . Mehen used his head to deal physical blows, and Susanoo was big enough to stand taller than only his head . Adding on top of that Ed's mastery over the sword, he was able to deal multiple damaging hits to Mehen .

Mehen had to focus his entire attention on Ed's Susanoo . This gave the others the chance to deal severe damage to him . Given enough time, Ed's companions were all able to bypass the scales' toughness . Suika was finally able to melt the scales with her poison, while the others blew their way through them . Mehen was now in danger as his protective armor was about to get destroyed .

Mehen was hit hard by Raikou and Sieg who used a powerful attack, making him flinch . Ed immediately slashed with Susanoo's sword towards the neck . A slight black color was seen on the blade of the sword . Ed could only use this much Armament Haki in order not to get tired out very quickly .

Susanoo's sword connected with Mehen's scales and Ed felt it going through it . If things continued this way, he would be able to sever Mehen's neck . Yet, before Ed could finish the job, the sword stopped . It wasn't because of hesitation on Ed's part, or his inability to completely sever the head . It wasn't even due to some hidden protective armor that Mehen used . It was because the serpent's head was no longer there . In fact neither was his entire body .

Ed was able to see what had happened clearly this time . In one breath, Mehen's body quickly shrunk and fell to the ground . The once gigantic serpent that was hundreds of meters long now had a length of only five meters . Yet, due to his size shrinking, his body looked almost jet black, giving him a dangerous look .

Mehen, who was on the ground, lunged at Ed who was in the air . Ed used Susanoo's sword to block him, but he was surprised to see it break . To protect himself, Ed blocked with Susanoo's arms . As expected, the strongest armor was able to stop Mehen, albeit having some cracks .

"So you've taken things more seriously . "

"I had to," Mehen answered Ed with a nonchalant attitude .

'It's a disadvantage to use Susanoo now . ' Ed undid the Susanoo and fell to the ground as well . Using Susanoo against such a fast and strong opponent simply made him a bigger target . It was also siphoning his Ki at a fast rate .

"It's actually a bad idea to compete in speed with me and my teammates," Ed spoke as Raikou appeared next to him . In an instant, Raikou's body was clad in so much lightning that he looked like he transformed into one as well . He also used Nen, which further amplified the effect .

Ed activated his Nen, Shunpo, Spectral Shadow Steps, Observation Haki, and Ryūsui Seikūken . With such a combination, although he would lose Ki very quickly, nothing could escape him . He even kept the Sharingan active .

Sieg and the others didn't stand still either . Suika, Gobuta, and the others who could use Nen activated their En to feel out the movement of Mehen . Sieg was relying on his experience and magic to keep up with the opponent .

Every second that passed witnessed tens of clashes . Even though his size decreased, Mehen's strength didn't . Ed and Raikou's speed proved more than enough to match Mehen . The once golden desert was now tainted by blood and traces of magic that was used . Flying slashes left deep scars in the sand .

Mehen was being slowly overwhelmed, yet he kept on fighting . Not even two minutes had passed, yet they had clashed for thousands of times . Noticing that he was at a disadvantage, Mehen tried to go back to his original size . He was able to damage everyone more in this form, but he was still taking the bigger damage . But, Ed wasn't going to allow him to do that so easily . He sheathed his swords and kept only Shusui . The usual black and white glow appeared on his sword as he used his remaining Ki on his strongest attack .

"Providence Blade!" Ed's blade connected with Mehen when he was mid-gigantification . The slash was so powerful it almost beheaded Mehen in one go . His was now nearly headless . Endless blood spurted out of his wound as he drew his last breath .

"What a strong opponent..." Mehen repeated what Sieg said earlier . He was looking at Ed and his team in great respect .

"Next time I come back, I'll definitely take you with me," Ed said in a resolute tone . He meant what he said .

"I see I look forward to it," Mehen spoke his last words, at least the last ones until he is summoned again, and died . Ed and the others were now being teleported to the next floor .