Chapter 21

Ed got on a carriage and asked Becky to drive around town . He didn't tell her the reason but she obeyed anyway .

Ed didn't forget to use the map this time . After opening it he could see most of the city, he could also see the people as colored dots . Blue ones were neutral while green ones were friendly . 'I guess red ones would be enemies'

Ed could see a lot of green dots in the castle while only one was in the sect . He guessed that would be his family and the staff there, while the sect one would be his brother training .

He surveyed the map a bit more and noticed a green dot not too from him and felt that would be his target . He told Becky the directions and summoned Suika to pass time .

"Suu . . . " Suika was sad because Ed didn't summon her for a while now .

"Sorry Suika but the enemy this time was very dangerous and I didn't want you to get hurt" Ed tried to cheer her up . It didn't take long for her to forgive him and then jumped up on Raikou's head .

The trio passed their time laughing until Ed noticed he was at his destination .

"You can stop here Becky" Ed informed Becky and got down from the carriage . The surrounding people looked shocked to see a noble in this district . It was the slums .

Ed made his way toward his target and spoke . "Hey there, won't you tell me your name" Ed smiled .

It was the orphan who saved Ed .

"My name is Oliver sir" Ed finally knew the name . Oliver was very polite, clearing knowing not to offend a noble .

"Well then Oliver, I came here with an apology, and a thanks and a proposal . " Ed kept his smile while chatting with Oliver . The latter was shocked but didn't react much .

"First I would like to apologize for what my brother did . He was sick and I hope you don't blame him or hate him . Although I'm guessing you forgave him since you saved me the other day" .

Oliver kept listening and didn't interrupt Ed . "Second I would like to thank you for saving me . Hadn't you been there, I would probably be dead already . " Ed thanked him in the most sincere way possible .

" . . . You saved me as well when you gave me those pills . I live in the slums so I would have probably died with my wounds . I just paid back my debt" Oliver looked Ed straight in the eyes and answered him .

"That was already because of my brother so I had to do something . So I want you to accept my thanks" Oliver kept quiet and nodded .

"As for the proposal . Let's keep that waiting for a while, follow me . " Ed moved and asked Oliver to follow him . He did as he was told and got in the carriage .

"Becky take us to the market" Ed decided on his destination .

When Oliver got on the carriage he got scared because of Raikou and Suika and backed away . Ed caught him and told him not to worry . So he sat down and started chatting with Ed .

"Why don't you tell me about yourself a bit?"

"I'm 12 years old" It was 1 year younger than what Ed estimated before .

"Anything more?" Ed smiled wryly at the short answer Oliver gave him .

"I came to this country after my mother died" Oliver's expression didn't change .

"I see . . . Sorry for making you remember something you want to forget .

" . . . " Oliver was quiet and didn't answer him .

"What about your father?"

"Never knew him" Simple answers for simple questions .

The mood in the carriage was getting heavy when suddenly . "Young master we are here" Becky informed Ed that they reached their destination .

'Nice save Becky!' Ed thanked Becky in his heart .

"Let us go eat" Ed informed them and got down from the carriage . "Becky you as well" Becky had intended to stay behind when Ed surprised her .

"Young master I canno-" As Becky wanted to speak Ed stopped her . "Just come along it's my treat . You can even consider it an order" Becky soon followed after him .

Ed stopped before long at a shop where an old man was cooking .

"Old man is your food delicious?" Ed spoke jokingly .

"Of course it is!! It's my joy and pride!" The old man answered as if he was talking about his child .

"Then let us order!" Ed ordered some skewers for him and Suika and got a steak for Raikou . Oliver ordered many things after hesitating at first . His hunger got the better of him .

Becky didn't want to order at first but Ed ordered some skewers for her as well .

The group finished their food . "Old man your food is really good! I'll be frequenting a lot here!" All of them enjoyed their food and the old man didn't mind serving a wolf, a slime, and an orphan so he gained Ed's respect .

"Sure! If you become a regular I'll even give you a discount!" The old man was friendly and seemed like he liked Ed . Although he probably had no idea Ed was Arthur's son which meant he genuinely liked him .

The group got back to the carriage . Ed then started speaking to Oliver .

"Oliver about the proposal I mentioned earlier . Would you like to become a disciple of our sect?" Ed surprised Oliver who looked like his eyes bulged out .

"I want to get stronger . But I don't want to be given strength as a pity . "

"It is not pity . When you attacked the man before, you threw the rock from so far away . This meant you have both accuracy and strength" Ed explained his reasoning to Oliver .

"But my mom taught me not to accept anything without paying back . I have no money to give you . " Oliver closed his eyes looking dejected .

"Then get strong enough to protect us . Get strong enough so you can save people . Get strong enough so you can pay me back!" Ed was passionate when talking .

Oliver opened his eyes and looked at Ed .

"So promise me this Oliver . Promise me you'll get strong enough to protect those you care about!" Ed looked back at him and smiled .

Oliver nodded his head and started crying . It was the first time someone trusted him after his mother died .

"Becky, take us to the castle" It was time to return .