Chapter 79

By now, about half of the students were affected . None of them were from E class, however . 'I guess he targeted the mediocre ones' . Ed also noticed that none of the exceptional ones were affected . 'He probably plans to kill us himself' . Ed was looking at the man and king who were now disappearing and appearing faster than the eye could follow . Each time they exchanged a blow, the wind pressure that was resulted would force everyone to protect themselves .

The king looked like he was fighting while drawing him away from the students . Every time the man tried to get back, the general would stop him . By now they were hundreds of meters away from their original position .

The students who were being controlled started attacking the normal ones . Harry and his friends were trying to subdue them, but every time they were stopped, they would struggle with all their powers . Harry had no other choice but to release them in such a state . "We have to knock them out" Ed remembered the way he used on Eric . Knocking him out made him less resistant .

However, it was much easier said than done . All the students were berserk right now . Approaching them meant fighting, and by now, all of them were rather tired due to the tournament . 'He sure knew when to start his plan' Ed was thinking of various ways to end this . The king and general would take care of the man . All that remained was to save the students . Ed gathered all the sane students . He withdrew some pills and potions to heal them .

The ones he wasn't familiar with got only pills, while his close friends got the potions . He made a special exception with Alicia since she was gravely injured . "We'll try to knock the students out, but be careful not to get killed by them" What he said was intended for the weak students . They weren't targeted for a reason .

As Ed was fighting the students, he was finding some things to be illogical . In the previous case, Eric was targeted because he was next in line to the throne . However, this time it seemed that they were being controlled and made to fight each other . 'If he wanted to kill everyone, doing it himself would be much faster and efficient . He would have done it while the king wasn't present' . The king's presence was bound to cause trouble for the man, even put an end to his plan, so him taking this chance was not normal .

Ed was making out theories as he fought, his performance dropped because of this . 'Does he want to start trouble between kingdoms?' This was one of the reasons . A student killing another one was bound to cause a war between the two kingdoms they belonged to . A parent wouldn't care if the one who killed his child was being controlled or not, he would try to get revenge on both the killer and the controller .

'But even in that case, why do it when the king is present? It doesn't make sense' The more Ed thought, the more mysteries he unlocked . 'Unless he wanted the king to be present?! In that case, all of this is only a diversion!' The realization Ed came to sent shivers down his spine . If what he figured out was true, then the capital and its people were in grave danger . And in the capital, there was someone that shouldn't die . 'The children!' Ed stopped fighting and immediately approached the king .

The fight was making it harder for him to approach them, but he didn't give up . He activated Ren and condensed it near his body, making him resistant to the wind around him . He reached a point where he couldn't advance any longer . But, his voice could still reach them .

"The capital is in danger!" Ed enhanced his voice with Nen and screamed as much as he could . He didn't know if the man had other allies so he chose to deliver these words to the king himself . This way it would be guaranteed that he would act .

"Oh, you found out! And so fast!" The man seemed surprised that Ed was able to figure out his plan so quickly . "I should have killed you after all, but maybe next time" . The man pulled out a ball-like item and crushed, suddenly he started disappearing . "A teleportation item . Ed, tell me mo-" Before the king and general could get more info from Ed, he was already away .

"Raikou, Gobuta, Goburou protect my friends!" Ed summoned his companions . The three of them could easily fight the ones who were currently here, and Harry and the other teachers would take care of the strong ones that appeared . "Ed this is?!" Emilia seemed to remember Raikou and wanted to ask about him, but Ed was already far away . He was running at maximum speed to reach the teleportation circle .

When he reached it, he found that it wasn't broken . He was thinking that the man would make it malfunction somehow to buy time . 'I guess it would have been too obvious' Before Ed could teleport, the king had already reached him . He gave up on asking Ed question as he knew it was too late, so he simply teleported as well .

When the both of them reached the other side, all they could see was flames, all they could hear were screams, and all they could smell was blood . Ed didn't wait for the king to act and simply started running . He checked his Map and found out that small green dots were near the slums . 'Why are they so small?!' Ed activated all his speed skills . This time he used a condensed Ken to protect himself from crashed and started running . The capital was overrun by monsters . Ed was hoping for the best, but his heart was beating faster than ever . Even when he died, it wasn't beating this hard .

In this state, any monsters that got close to Ed was blown away, any wall he encountered was destroyed . All he could think about was reaching Eri and the others . It didn't take him even a minute to get there, but what he saw made him drop to his knees .

Eri, along with the children and two elderly women were lying on the ground . A pool of their own blood was surrounding them .

"NOOOOOO!!" The noisy capital suddenly turned quiet . The previous screams seemed to disappear in front of Ed's own scream . His scream filled with sadness, anguish and also, anger .