Heartless (7)

Ranbir had gone to another room to take a shower which he badly needed and he needed some alone time as well.

In the shower, he let the cold water wash away all his thoughts but the latter was very persistent. His mind drifted to the moment with Prachi.
Ranbir, to himself: 'What was I thinking? I have removed all those feelings and desires from within me... Then why is Prachi awakening all of them? I hate girls, so why am I not able to hate her?'

Frustratedly, he punched the wall and a sharp pain was felt but he ignored it. He stayed in the water for another 15 minutes. Whether it was intentionally or he just needed time, only he knew.

On reaching his bedroom's door, he sighed. He didn't know what to say to Prachi. What was she thinking? Did she regret what happened? Does she hate him in return? How would he apologise to her?
All those questions consumed him and he opened the door as slowly as possible.

His eyes went around the room; trying to locate his wife and finally they settled on her or rather her sleeping figure on the bed. He came closer and observed her to see if she was really asleep or was pretending to be asleep.

When he didn't notice any movement except her rhythmic breaths, he knew that she was asleep. His eyes went to the clock and he realised that he took much longer than he intended into the washroom.
He also lied down and decided to leave all the questions for tomorrow morning.

Prachi's stirring caught his attention and his eyes moved to her. She was already fast asleep and he began admiring her once again.
His beautiful wife's features were too exceptional that he couldn't ignore them.

Subconsciously, Prachi moved in her sleep and grew closer to him. It surprised him a bit but when her hands went around his waist and chest, and she used his chest as a pillow, all the surprise and confusing thoughts went out the window.

It was replaced by peace... holding her in his arms meant everything right now and he no longer questioned himself, he just wrapped his hands around her small figure and let the hug consume him.

Next morning:

Ranbir started stirring and subconsciously searched for his wife next to him, but she wasn't there. He opened his eyes slowly and looked around. When she wasn't found, they immediately moved to the clock.
He woke up with a startle as he realised that he overslept again. There was still time though for Prachi to leave for college. He needed to talk and clear about yesterday.

He rushed to the washroom and took a quick shower. He did as quick as possible and climbed down the stairs hurriedly. Thankfully, he spotted Prachi at the door and called her out. She nervously turned around and their eyes locked.

Images of what happened between them behind closed doors rushed back to them. Sudden heat surged into their body and Prachi's red cheeks gave her away.
Ranbir: "I am dropping you today."
She looked on shockingly and confusedly.

She signed him what's wrong but VIkram came there.
Vikram: "Good... I had a meeting anyway."
Prachi, nervously: "It's okay... I can take a can, Ranbir didn't have breakfast yet."
Ranbir, coming near her: "I will have it at the office. Let's go."
Pallavi and Vikram looked on smilingly as Ranbir held her hands. He pulled her with him after saying a quick bye to his parents. The latter was extremely happy seeing that.

Ranbir brought Prachi to his car and signed to get in. She complied silently and nervously looked on as he rushed to the driver's seat.
As soon as he got in, he started the car and drove to her college.

But the silence in the car overwhelmed both of them. While Prachi had been busy playing with the strap of her bag, Ranbir would occasionally steal a look at her.
He needed to apologize for yesterday night. But the proper words weren't coming. He didn't want to hurt her by any wrong words.