Heartless (4)

The club was blasting with loud music. It was so loud that that it was next to impossible to hear voices. Bodies overcrowded the dance floor and the bar area.

Instinctively, Prachi moved closer to Ranbir. He noted that and shifted behind her so he could prevent any accidental touch that would make Prachi uncomfortable.
Prachi's eyes went to his arms that protected her and noticed how it tugged a string in her heart.

But it wasn't right! She told herself and pushed away those thoughts. She walked to the bar's direction and stopped when she spotted Shahana.
Ranbir too saw her best friend and grew confused.

As soon as Shahana noticed her best friend, she rushed to her and engulfed her into a hug. Prachi too wrapped her hands around her.
Shahana, trying to get her words loud over the music: "How are you?"
Thankfully, Prachi's smile was back due to a certain person and she nodded at Shahana.

Ranbir: "I am going to see the boys and be back."
His eyes subconsciously went to Prachi; in fact he said it for her only and wanted her to acknowledge it. She indeed did it through a nod.
As soon as Ranbir went away, Shahana: "Your husband is out of this world. Too handsome for the eye."
Prachi, chuckling: "You have a boyfriend who is here by the way."
Her eyes went around trying to spot the boy in question.

Shahana: "They are inside... let's go."
The girls hooked their hands together and pushed their way inside the private room.
The boys (Ranbir, Mayank and Aryan) were already there and there were 2 girls as well.
As Mayank got busy with the 2 girls, Arbir came to the the girls.

Prachi happily hugged Aryan who was a bit surprised seeing her joyful mood.
Prachi, teasingly: "My favorite couple..."
Ranbir was surprised but seeing the blush on Shahana's face and Aryan's little smile, he concluded the whole story.
Ranbir, confused: "Wait... wait... wait. Shahana is your girlfriend?"
Aryan nodded yes.

Prachi: "You didn't know?"
Ranbir nodded no and then started glaring at Aryan.
Shahana: "Actually no one knew except you. I had to tell you for obvious reason..."
Aryan: "Sorry Buddy... I waited for a special time bit looks like my sister had divulged it in my place."
Ranbir realised how close Aryan and Prachi were becoming and grew tensed.

He felt a hand on his shoulder and turn to see Mayank. Ranbir forced a smile and carried the conversation.
Mayank: "Come on, boys and girls... let's order the drinks..."
One of the girls who were seated: "Outside is more fun... let's go."
Mayank turned to his circle of friends and asked. When one said yes, the other followed and they all found themselves in one of the booth of the main hall.

They started ordering drinks and Prachi was the only one who didn't order alcoholic one.
Mayank: "Prachi, are you sure you don't want a cocktail?"
"I don't want it." She replied to him sternly. Mayank too noted the tone and clenched his fists. He wasn't appreciating her rudeness.

Ranbir leaned closer to her and whispered: "You can take if you want. It's totally normal. No-one is going to judge you here. We are all having one."
Prachi, whispering back: "It's not about the judgmental side of it... I don't have a good alcohol tolerance."
Ranbir, chuckling: "Well, I would like to see a drunk Prachi."
She smiled back at him amusedly: "Then you should at least be sober and ready for everything. Because drunk me is a handful."
Ranbir: "I will believe it only when I witness it."
Prachi: "one day..."

Mayank had noticed their talks but didn't hear anything. The couple's smiles pissed him off and he grew angrier.
Shahana: "Does anyone want to dance? Prachi?"
The latter hesitated a bit but then nodded yes. She held Shahana's hand and the girls went to the dance floor.
Aryan, to Ranbir: "Look like you already made it up for the morning incident."
Ranbir, nervously avoided Mayank's accusing eyes: "I hope so."