Rekindling love (2)

Ranbir looked at the city lights with sadness. Everyone was taunting him about his financial situation and he hadn't felt this bad for anything.

He couldn't believe that people thought he couldn't take care of his wife. Those taunts kept ringing in his ears.
His fingers went to his hair and he frustratedly tugged on them.

At the same time, he heard his phone ringing and fished it out of his jeans.
The ID flashed his Dad's name. He sighed: trying to control his emotions so that his parents don't see through him.

He answered the call and smiled once Abhi came in view.
However, his smile couldn't reach his eyes and his father took only a second to see that.
However, the latter didn't delve into that matter.

Ranbir: "Dad... How are you?"
A lady's excited voice came and Pragya soon appeared on the screen.
"Ranbir... How are you and Prachi?

Ranbir, awkwardly: "We are fine, Mom..."
He didn't say anything further as their conversation of mere minutes ago came back to him.
Abhi: "Where is my sweet daughter-in-law?"
Ranbir, avoiding their eyes: "She is having a shower... she..."

Pragya: "Tell her to hurry. We want to talk to her as well."
He nodded yes and headed back to their room. He looked at the bathroom's door sadly but his parents insisted once more.

He turned off the camera and hesitatingly knocked at the door.
But his first knocks went to deaf ears. There was no response from his wife.

He knew his parents were listening to them intently because they must have sensed his awkwardness.
He knocked a second time; a little louder to make sure she responded.

He also called out her name: "Prachi..."
But he somehow knew, she wouldn't answer and thus added: "Mom and Dad are on call, they want to talk to us."

He thought that this might make her reply and he had correctly guessed it.
Her small and weak voice came through: "Coming."
Ranbir could hear her breaking voice and felt extremely guilty to put her in such situation but he didn't have time to think this through as he heard Abhi's voice.

He turned on the camera and faced his parents once again. They chatted asking each other basic things while waiting for Prachi.

Soon after, Ranbir heard the opening of the door and his eyes spotted his wife. She had changed and her hair was wet but for the first time ever, she was avoiding his eyes.

And instinctively, despite her own wish, she lifted her eyes to meet his. It was too natural for her not to do it. But she regretted the second she did.
He saw right through her in a second: knowing that he had hurt her by even suggesting the divorce.

Her eyes immediately met the floor; she didn't want him to feel more horrible than he already was.

If he thought that the taunts were horrible, her red and tear stricken face were squeezed his heart so painfully that everywhere hurt.

Every single part of him hurt like hell. It was only when his father spoke that he was able to tear his gaze away from his wife.
Prachi sat next to him to fit in the small screen so that his parents could see both of them.

They were so closed and yet so far... so far that they were on edge with each other; fearing to say something that will make things worst.

Prachi greeted Abhigya politely and looked at them. Abhigya exchanged looks as they noticed Prachi's red eyes.
Abhi, worriedly: "What's wrong, Prachi?"
Ranbir stole glances at her but didn't expect anything. Neither that she would lie to his parents nor tell them the truth.

Prachi: "I haven't been sleeping much due to the project I was telling you about. I am just exhausted. Nothing to worry."
A forced smile followed her lie.