-The lost portrait by penpaperandbooks [Rev. Anika]

Book Name: The Lost Portrait 

Author: penpaperandbooks

Reviewer: FrozenHeartsGalaxy 

Cover: 00/05

There is no aesthetic design or attraction in the cover to catch the reader's eyes. The font style is suitable but it's too small in size. There is no Author's name to avoid chances of Plagiarism. In every book, the first important thing is the cover. It is the first thing that catches the reader's eyes so kindly work more hard on it for views.

Title: 02/05

The title gives off mysterious vibes. It does match the plot but I don't understand the significance of the word "last".

Synopsis: 01/10

The blurb is too short and doesn't give a slight glimpse of a plot or should I say there is nothing at all that tells us anything about the plot. It won't give anyone a reason to read your book. The quote about fate causes more confusion. Kindly give a small summary or description about the plot, any creative quote of a character that is thrilling and a cliffhanger or question that catches their attention to the point they couldn't hold themselves from diving in the book to read it.

Execution: 02/10

There aren't many scenes influential to the plot in the story except for the fact their relationship is building up when he becomes her aide. The chemistry between characters wasn't an interesting way to start as well. He agreed to become her aide so fast that I was expecting him to refuse or at least agree on the basis that he needed to find the truth but it seemed like he had forgotten about it. I don't sense any strong bonding between Jimin and Dahlia as well. The author needs creative and valid ideas to spin such minor things of plot that matters a lot.

Plot: 5/20 

Your story lacks information yet it's so predictable. First, It's already the 10th chapter and I still couldn't tell what kind of person the main protagonist aka Jimin himself is. His personality, his lifestyle and his background all are hidden. You need to figure out what kind of protagonist is while you build a plot around them. Same mistake you committed with the creation of a different world, as readers, we are always curious about what kind of new world it is? What is the hierarchy of it? How's it different from the previous world and how does the main protagonist cope with it? You missed such important details to show. Keep track of the information you want to talk about in your book. You have done your worldbuilding, and there are many things to say about your world or character, but not all of them are going to be needed. So put down in your outline (if you have one) what info is absolutely necessary to be said in the first chapter, then in the second, and so on, instead of exposing everything at once. Let the character who is new to the world experience and explore with the readers as they will be able empathise with him too throughout the journey instead of skipping the whole one year.

Writing Style: 17/20

The narration and writing style of the author is praiseworthy. The descriptions are detailed and well-explained but in some places the author rushed the scene or the moment.

Grammar & Vocabulary: 17/20

There are no grammatical, vocabulary nor punctuation errors which clearly shows Author's efforts in neat work.

Characters & Development: 05/10

The character lacks realistic emotions and reactions. Remember this, readers can't feel anything if the character is emotionless both internally and externally (Meaning there is literally no description of his feelings or thoughts in important parts). I couldn't experience sadness, humour, happiness, excitement, or the feeling of adrenaline rushing through veins during the climax when he landed in another world because Jimin's emotions were lacking. The story flows in a plain boring and simple way. Puting character in trouble at the beginning of story is the best way to catch reader's interest but Jimin waking up in foreign place yet his reaction wasn't surprised, scared, shocked or state of denial.. exactly what we expect from a normal person if they find themselves in unknown place but no, there wasn't any spice or other drama that intrigue the reader. For example, when Jimin landed, he instantly met the right person Dahlia who knew about the two worlds without any drama or spice. There wasn't any intense moment when he almost put himself in trouble before he got rescued by her. In other words, you could've easily put us readers in a moment of heart attack before giving us relief. Also I couldn't bring myself to think about the reason behind the mystery of Jimin travelling to the other world because the character himself didn't look so interested. The characters play a big role in influencing the story and make the reader feel certain things which you definitely failed. Jimin didn't look curious nor determined to go back or at least thought about finding out why it happened? Which left us readers hopeless from discovering such secrets of plotline. He should have an important goal as a main character and that is to find out the reason and then return to his former world. Any priority he left in his world? So he must have to go back and we as readers witness the whole journey to see if he could do it or not? But you didn't do any such thrilling things to keep the reader engaged in the story. There is no such "what-if" questions lingering around story or the characters which make readers create different theories because unfortunately everything was going normal and predictable. Even though he was from a different world, you didn't portray anything unique and different about him from others. He should be a type of person by whom people get impressed but they didn't fail to impress him as well by their different society, culture, trait or talent. You should create a reason why he got promoted to aide in just one year when other male servants couldn't achieve this fast, something great that makes him worthy of the position. But you made Jimin a type of protagonist who isn't weird and uncommon in any way but he still manages to catch people's attention and the world revolves around him because he is still the main lead, which is totally wrong. There should be valid reason behind everything. Just because he is protagonist, doesn't mean everything will go in his favour by luck. Such portrayal of character is unrealistic and make reader lose the interest. You revealed the queen's true personality aka soft side too early. If you have just shown a glimpse of it and given the readers just a hope instead of whole confirmation at once, that would be interesting too. But I must admit, you portrayed her character in a bit better way than Jimin's and I give you credits for that.

Total: 49/100