-Retrouvaille by itsbangtanbeaches [Rev. Lals]

Book Name: Retrouvaille

Author: ItsBangtanBeaches

Reviewer: Lals Chaotic_Lals

Cover: 2.5/05
The cover did not exactly come off as attractive to me. The picture you had used as the face claim was too fall— no matter if it was for aesthetic purposes or not. There was way too much empty space in the graphic that made it look mundane. Moving onto the fonts— they were a poor choice. Seen too much of it, to be honest. The font and size of the author’s handle could be improvised too.
Next, the theme. To be frank, I couldn’t catch onto the book’s genre or anything as such. The cover being good, is not good enough. It should speak enough about the book too. I don’t think the current cover did. It’d be a shame if readers skipped this book because of the cover (yes, I was indirectly fangirling, since as a reviewer, I can’t do that so openly).

Title: 04/05
Did the job. However, you could’ve picked something that more readers would find interesting, you know? Yes, people know French. But, when you pick a word from another language, you can try choosing a phrase or a word that is similar to the book’s language (in this case, English), to say the least.

Synopsis: 08/10
The synopsis was good. There should’ve been a comma after the ‘One day’ in the first line. Moving onto the content, it was executed well. However, I think you could’ve twisted things up a bit, you know? Make it a tad bit more entrancing by conveying the same thing, but in a different play of words. It feels like the synopsis is missing something as of now.

Execution: 09/10
The book was well-executed. It’s just the cover for me, to be honest. It could be improvised by loads. Apart from that, everything from the writing style, to the grammar, to the plot, to the characters, were executed amazingly.
However, you should avoid inserting images whilst a chapter goes on. It ruins the flow of the book. If you need to add any pictures, do so at the very end of a chapter— not in between.

Plot: 18/20
The plot, like I mentioned above, was well executed. It sure isn’t something that I’ve never read before, but it was portrayed beautifully. Wasn’t too fast paced, not too lagged up either. Just fine. There weren’t much chapters that were fillers either. So it’s all good.

Writing Style: 18/20
Did I have to read your book twice ‘cause the first time I read it, I forgot I was reviewing it? Yes, yes I did. You have a beautiful way around your words; I know that much.
However, I did feel like some of the happenings in your book were unnecessarily dramatic. Like the scene in which the female lead was on board in the first chapter— you could’ve made them lesser dramatic, you know? A tad bit more realistic.
But yes, putting that aside, I don’t think there’s anything wrong with the writing style.

Grammar & Vocabulary: 17/20
I found little to no errors in both your grammatical skills, and your vocabulary. There were a couple of places were you ailed to use commas were they were needed, however.
When a line in direct speech is continued in the form of narration, make sure to use a coma before you ending double quotes. Taking this sentence as an example: “I don’t know Jin.” She murmured.
Here, there should’ve been a comma both before and after the word ‘Jin’. So the sentence would be something like this: “I don’t know, Jin,” she murmured.
Putting that aside, you are good to go. I suggest you proof read the chapters once and erect them?
The usage of words was good too. Not too complicated, but not too simple either. The balance is beautiful. But, there were some places where you had the right idea, but used the wrong words to convey it. For instance, in the second chapter, you say that the female lead ‘retorts’ back when the driver asks her her drop-off location. Now, the term ‘retort’, doesn’t go well in the context, since it originally means replying back in a sharp or angry manner. ‘Replied’ would’ve suited the sentence better, don’t you think? There are several such instances in the book. So again, proof reading should help.

Characters & Development: 09/10
The way you’ve given a spotlight for each of the characters is appreciable. I don’t have much to say about them. With the flow of the book— from what I’ve read so far, of course— development is pretty obvious too. So kudos to you.

Total: 85.5/100

Final Note: Please do not get discouraged or demotivated. I’m trying to help you here. I do hope that this review helped you a bit. You can always improve yourself and your skills with practice and patience, hm? Don’t hesitate to hit me up if you have any queries ;)
(P.S. Change the cover pwease-)

 Change the cover pwease-)