-Leeward by empiresofwater [Rev. Suzy]

Book Name: Leeward

Book Name: Leeward

Author: empiresofwater

Reviewer: Suzy

Cover: 02/05

The cover is pretty basic. The font and filter appreciates the vintage theme but a better and more attractive background picture would do really great. Something which can give a glimpse of the thrill in the book. 

Title: 4.5/05

I personally loved the title, short and accurate. Supports the irony of the story and overall a rare and new word for many people out there.

Synopsis: 06/10

I found it too long, as if all the information was kept right in front of me. Or maybe it just lacks the thrill? The ending paragraph is pretty good while the sudden package of information in the initial paragraph didn't suit my preferences but I believe other history lover readers might like it, especially when they're already aware of the time period in which the book is set upon. 

Execution: 08/10

The introduction had a lot of information, you did mention that the readers don't need to read it through but it would be great if you could summarize the introduction a bit more. The glossary was a cherry on top, thank you for adding all the necessary words with their meaning. The pacing is average, not too fast nor too slow except for a few chapters. The chapters are short, thus convenient to read through.

Plot: 10/20

I will be really honest, this is probably my second or third time reading a historical fiction book and first time reviewing one. I did read my history textbooks for 5 years of my schooling and your book is absolutely as interesting as those but the reason for giving ten marks here is because the plot has references from actual incidents. The overall plot, the plot twists and order of events summed up to be neutral for me. 

Writing Style: 18/20

Are you by any chance a history student? The little details make everything more realistic. Your vocabulary and descriptive writing is marvelous. 

Grammar & Vocabulary: 17/20

Few action tag and verbal tag errors were observed in dialogues. The vocabulary and adjectives used are impactful. 

Characters & Development: 08/10

I'm impressed with Nightingales personality and decision making. His actions and aura are still strong yet satisfying. The side characters are pretty interesting, may it be the little boy in the second chapter or the dead lieutenant in the last chapter. 

Total: 73.5/100

Final Note: The cover needs to be changed and the description might need few changes. If you aren't satisfied with this review then feel free to fill a form in the next batch for a re-review since I might've missed some plot holes and specifications due to my lack of experience with historical fiction books. Thank you.