Intention

Wang Zhu: (disgruntled) Thank you, for throwing the men in our family under the bus.

Me: (wincing) But aren't you happy that Mama and Auntie are on speaking terms again?

Wang Zhu: Of course I am happy. But not when it includes me hearing you three talk about how boring we are.

Me: (sighing) Look, you cannot have it both ways. What do you want? Not to be insulted or Mama and Auntie still in a conflict? It's a small price to pay for seeing them laughing together.

Wang Zhu: Laughing while they disparage us.

Me: (chuckling) What disparage? You all are truly boring. I'm sorry, that's the truth. You guys are all about business, golf, cars, investments with a touch of politics, sports and more business. Truly boring.

Wang Zhu: Be that as it may...

Me: (patting his shoulder) Look, it's an ancient form of winning a war. To get two warring sides to be allies, you have to give them a common enemy. The enemy of my enemy could be the woman who also married to my husband's family. That sort of thing...

Wang Zhu: The common enemy meaning us. The men in this family.

Me: (shrugging) Sorry man, we have to use all our arsenal to get them to like each other again. And lets face the fact, nothing could stress the women in this family more than the men in it.

Wang Zhu sighed. He can do nothing about really. He saw it himself. The moment I opened up about complaining to the men in the Wang Family, both Mama and Auntie's eyes lit up and they became alive. Complaining about the men they married and gave birth to, give these women the energy to be allies again. Their anger forgotten which is our goal, right?

Anyways, we had a nice meal after Mama and Auntie made up. Zhu gege didn't lie, the lamb in this restaurant is superb and they have a nice selection of wines. I enjoyed watching Mama and Auntie eating, talking, and laughing together again. They had a great time that they insisted on paying the bills on our meal. They also saw someone they both know and is now chatting with that person. That gave Zhu gege and I alone time together so he can complain to me.

Well, he has nothing to complain about. It was a mission accomplished and I am satisfied with our work. I have something positive to report to Qing and I know this will be one thing less on my fiancé's mind. We can all finally stop feeling stressed about Mama and Auntie feuding.

While Zhu gege and I are talking about Qing and his issue with Baba...someone approached us. A man, close to Zhu gege's age, and obviously a closed acquaintance of Qing's cousin based on the way they polite and warmly greeted each other.

Zhu gege introduced me to his acquaintance.

Wang Zhu: Gui, this is Dayu. Dayu, this is Gui. We went to a university together.

Gui: (shaking my hand) (smiling) Nice to meet you, Dayu.

Me: Nice to meet you too.

Gui is about the same height as me but he has mass in him. I won't say he is fat, but he sure is bulky. Even so, he is good looking. With bright eyes behind a pair of round glasses and an open and kind face. His smile also seemed genuine.

Gui: When will the reunion will be? Someone on our batch messaged me about it.

Wang Zhu: (groaning) They want to push through with that? There is a pandemic going on...

Gui: Yeah...but it is basically contained here. I think the organizers want to contact as many of our batchmate as they can to see who is interested to attend the reunion.