Lucky

Me: Here Candy...wow, you are so good at eating your crackers...yes you are.

Goddess: (stroking Carlos' furry back) So what you were basically saying was that you got engaged with Hot Roommate and you lied about it to everyone for two and a half months. Did I get it right?

Me: (wincing) Well, most of it. I mean, some of our friends know but we made them sign some NDAs to shut them up.

Goddess: Riiiight...because what's exciting about an engagement without some NDA signing? That's cute...

Me: (shoulders slumping) I know. I know...what we did was wrong...

Goddess: (letting Carlos roll out of her arms) I'm not saying what you two did was wrong. Surely you have reasons why you think you needed to keep the engagement a secret to everyone. And frankly, aside from your parents who most probably share your happiness about the engagement, you don't owe anyone enough for them to demand that you bare your souls to them.

Me: (sighing) Maybe. We hurt our parents pretty badly though. (staring at Candy who started chasing a ball) What about you? If Candy kept her engagement from you, what will you do?

Goddess: (laughing) Oh darling, she won't keep it from me because I will be her bestfriend.

Me: (rolling my eyes) Just in case. It's a hypothetical question.

Goddess: (humming) I will be hurt. I won't lie. It's such an important moment, I hope she will permit me to share it with her and the person she will love. (smiling fondly at her daughter) It will be such a privilege to see her that happy.

The Goddess gave me a kind smile.

Goddess: But you should stop berating yourself. It already happened, you two confessed already and people just now need to sort their feelings out. Do yourself a favor and stay positive. What's the worst thing that could happen?

Me: Our parents will never forgive us and we will get disowned. I will never see my Mama and Baba again.

Goddess: Okay...speaking as a parent...that will never happen. Your parents won't last an eternity without seeing you. But I'm not saying this so you will feel too important and just shrug off their hurt feelings...I'm telling you this because you are being ridiculous. They will forgive you, eventually, and they will never disown you. Same goes for Hot Roommate. If his parents didn't disown him for being gay, I don't think he will get disown by keeping his engagement a secret for two months.

Me: Yeah I know. I know they will forgive me. But you bet that I can't do anything wrong without this getting thrown in my face. My parents will surely remind me that I did this to them and they will tell their grandkids about it.

Goddess: As they should because you are not a model material. No one should emulate what you did. That was wrong and you are wrong.

Me: (nodding) Right. No one should follow my footsteps.

Candy: (coming towards the Goddess while holding a little cat flushy) Ohm...ma...

The Goddess and I winced at her.

Goddess: People will start thinking that she is Korean. She kept calling me "ohmma ohmma". Very close to how Koreans call their mother.

Candy grinned at her Mama. Then she went on all four and crawled towards Carlos, who is lounging at the carpet and swishing his tail. When Carlos saw Candy approaching, the cat hissed gently before standing up and leaping towards the long couch.

Me: Carlos doesn't seem to like Candy.

Goddess: They hate being quarantined together in one room. When we were back to my mother's home, Carlos was ever so happy that I let him outside so he can escape my daughter.