Missed Dinner pt1

Last night, I cooked creamy mushroom risotto and grilled some lean steaks.

(Oh...sounds yummy)

Yes, our food tastes good. But aside from that, it has another meaning behind it.

(What?)

Read it again.

(Creamy mushroom risotto and lean steaks. Oh, Baba must be happy with dinner last night. Lean steak is his favorite, right?)

Yeah...it looks like someone is kissing up Qing's ass and that someone was the cook.

(But you were the cook...oh no...what have you done this time?)

I ate his vegetable and fruit cups. Qing is on a diet and the other night, he said he won't eat dinner with me...he will just have some vegetable cups. But there was a problem with that. You see, Qing didn't find his last two vegetable cups on the fridge because...

Me: I ate them, Qing.

Qing: You ate them? Why?

Me: I got hungry this afternoon. So I took the vegetable cups and salad dressing and ate them.

The vegetable cups consists of brocolli, cherry tomatoes, carrot slices, snow peas and raisins. Qing prepares the vegetables in good sized cups at the start of the week and he will eat them for three days. Just add some Caesar or ranch dressing and it's a good afternoon snack.

Qing: (looking crestfallen) It's my meal. It's not snack for me, Dayu ah. That's my dinner.

Me: I'm sorry. Do you want me to run to the grocery to buy some brocolli and snow peas? We still have some carrots and cherry tomatoes in the fridge.

Qing: (sighing) Never mind. I will just eat the last fruit cup I stored on the freezer. Maybe I will make a smoothie from it.

I winced hard at that. Qing noticed and he frowned at me.

Qing: Don't tell me...

Me: We ran out of sweets for desert. (voice going softer) I had it after eating lunch...sorry.

Qing: (sighed) Never mind, I'll just eat some sugarfree granola bars. (staring intently at me) You didn't eat them...please tell me you at least left one packet for me.

Me: No. Your granola bars, I left untouched. They are not tasty enough.

Qing: (relieved sigh) Thank goodness for sugarfree stuffs. (chuckling) You don't touch any food that has a label "sugarfree" in it.

Me: Yeah. Sorry again...

Qing: (caressing my hair) Nah. It's fine.

But for me it's not fine. Qing will be okay with granola bars but I know what he really wanted to eat were his vegetable and fruit cups. But a glutton ate them and Qing has to settle.

I hate myself.

That's why I cut my work short yesterday so I can cook dinner for Qing. Before leaving for work, I visited my pantry to see what I can cook. I settled for creamy mushroom risotto and grilled lean steak. I forgo desert. I decided I don't deserve to have any sweets for at least a week. That's how guilty I am for eating Qing's healthy food in cups.

I had to do a grocery run before going home to cook dinner. I carefully followed my Mama's risotto recipe because Qing likes my Mama's risotto. I was careful in marinating the steak. Cooking it will be tricky. Qing doesn't like well done steak, but he won't eat it raw either. It has to be cooked just right to impress my husband to be.

Once the risotto was done and the wine was selected, I set the table. I debated between showering and cooking the steak. In the end, I decided to wash first and cook the steak once Qing got home. It won't take much time to sear and grill the steak. What matters is the taste and texture.