Two Heads

How about that Pink Moon eh?

No, really...how was it? I ah...didn't get to see it because well...sometimes...uhm...living with Qing's parents are not that easy.

I don't know what is worse, Mama being visibly upset at me and doing her best not to interact with me or Baba who is asking me to be patient with her every, what feels like, ten seconds.

It gets exhausting...but I don't complain to Qing. He is probably having a tougher time living with my parents.

Qing: What are you talking about, I'm having a blast here.

Me: (sighing) Oh no, the Stockholm Syndrome already set in? They already convinced you that they are not torturing you?

Qing: (frowning) Love...are my parents torturing you?

Me: (laughing because he is joking after all) No. You know I like having tea. Having tea with Mama is great...

Qing: Okay, now you are lying. If you said having tea with my mother is fine, I will believe you. But to use the word "great"? You are overselling it. What's wrong?

Me: No! Nothing. Okay maybe a little. But you go first! How are they torturing...I mean treating you there?

Qing: (shrugging) Mama, Baba and I had a picnic this afternoon.

Okay...that is about the last thing I expected him to say. I mean, I was expecting cold shoulder treatment or constant barrage of complaints about me...but picnic? What?

Me: (utterly baffled) A picnic?

Qing: (nodding) We visited your paternal grandparents' graves.

My breath hitched. They...visited my PopPop and Nana without me?!

(PopPop?)

When I was young, I used to call my paternal grandfather as PopPop. When he died, I was devastated because I missed saying goodbye. I tried coming home from school faster but PopPop died while I was on my way to him. I still tear up everytime I am remembering him but he knows that I love him so much so...

That is not the point! The point is...

Me: Lets hang up, I have to call someone.

Qing: Who?

Me: Just hang up! I will call you later again. Bye!

I ended that video call so I can call my Mama.

Mama: (answering after the fourth ring) Hello, why are you calling?

Me: (accusatory tone) You took Qing to see PopPop and Nana.

Mama: (chuckling) That we did. And we brought grilled porkribs and my homemade coleslaw to a picnic.

Oh my! She...wow...my own mother is killing me!

Me: I love porkribs and your homemade coleslaw! And I would have loved to see PopPop and Nana! Why didn't we visit them when I was there?! Why did you take Qing there?!

Mama: (instantly annoyed) Why are you shouting at me?! Who are you to shout at me?

Me: (feeling frustrated) Because...you showed favoritism again! You really love Qing more than you love me! I'm your son!

Mama: (sounding distant) Here, talk to your son. He is being hysterical again.

Baba: (sighing) Hello, Dayu ah...what is wrong now, son?

So I told my Baba what is wrong.

Me: Whose idea was it to take Qing to see PopPop and Nana? I bet it's Mama's idea. She loves antagonizing me and she does it by showing she favors Qing over me.