Hater pt1

I will admit it now, I sometimes deliberately refuse to write here about people who disapproves of my relationship with Qing. I mean, if you reread my entries, you'll might think that everyone who knows about us approved, but sad to say...that is not the case in reality.

I will also admit that it is hard to face disapproval on our relationship. You'd think Qing and I have been doing this for five years now, we should have been immune to people who looks at same sex relationship like ours as something sinful, wicked or even unnatural. I mean, most of the time I do ignore the whisperings and low mutterings and curious looks coming our way when we are in a gathering where lots of attendees know about our relationship...but sometimes, sometimes, it gets to me.

Especially when the hurtful words will come from people whom I thought were supposed to cheer me on because they share my blood and DNA. But I guess, even in your own family, you just cannot please everybody.

Such is the case of my GrandPapa BanLu. He is a close cousin of my maternal grandmother. And when I say close, I mean, they live just two streets away from each other. They grew up together and GrandPapa BanLu is actually the bestfriend of my Grandfather, my Mama's father.

GrandPapa BanLu adores me. He did. He does still. I grew up with him handing me little treats when I was young, praising me for getting high grades in school and even letting me stay overnight in their home when Baba and Mama were busy working. I grew up with his grandchildren, my cousins. He treated me like I am the grandson that came from his own loin and not just the grandson of his cousin and bestfriend.

I am giving you that background because the hard truth is, as much as GrandPapa BanLu loves me...he also hates the relationship I have with Qing. Hate is the right word here. He hates it. He doesn't understand it. He doesn't like the fact that I live in a big city like Beijing. And he's particularly displeased that I live in the same house as my fiancé.

GPapa BanLu: You should have stayed here in Heilongjiang. Get a decent job like your Baba. Marry a decent woman like your mother and have a good son like you.

Me: I can still have that life. You know...

GPapa BanLu: (scowling) How could you when you chose to lay down with a man and be seduced by frivilous things?

Me: GrandPapa...

GPapa BanLu: (pointing at Qing) And all of that is his fault. He is the devil that swoop in the night and take our good Dayu away from us.

Baba: (chuckling uneasily) That is too dramatic, Uncle. Qing is not at fault here.

GBaba BanLu: Ah right, because it is your fault. You and your wife!

GrandMa: BanLu gege!

GBaba BanLu: Why? Am I wrong? I told you all not to send Dayu in Beijing to study in that big university. We have good state universities around here, why send him away? Now look what happened. He is living with a man and drab with materials things. (looking critically at me) Do you think a life with money will make you happy? Money is not everything, Dayu ah.

Me: I know that...

GBaba BanLu: Then why did you let yourself be seduced by his money?

Qing: I didn't use my money to get him. Its more my dic—...

Me: (putting a palm on Qing's mouth) Diction! Its his diction that made me fall for him. I just love how he pronounced words, GrandBaba.

GrandMa: (glowering) Stop harassing the children and let them greet you. They come to you as their elder. Stop being ugly like this, Gege and invite us into your home. We have been standing here in the cold forever.