Concern pt1

Mama gasped loudly at that question while I feel like a whole ton of lead dropped on my stomach.

Qing was quick to be angry.

Qing: (frowning) What do you mean if I am sure I want to marry Dayu? Of course I want to marry him. I proposed to him twice. What the hell?

Baba: Language. I am just asking because I cannot deny something. Witnessing Dayu having a panic attack shocked me. (looking at me) And I want to apologize, Dayu ah...but I don't think I would know how to handle that kind of panic attack...

Me: Don't apologize, Baba...

Qing: Yes, don't apologize because you are not the one who will deal with it. It'll be me and Dayu. In fact, you don't have to worry about it.

Baba: How can I not worry about it? You are my son. I would want to know if you are really confident that you could be with someone with that condition for the rest of your life.

Mama: (finally speaking) (enraged) Dayu is not just someone! He is the man your son will marry! He will also be our son! How dare you...oh you...

Me: Mama!

I went to Mama's side to support her. Mama took my hand in a tight grip. She glared at Baba.

Mama: (in a clipped tone) You better choose your next words carefully. I already feel insulted with your words and I am not even Dayu. Imagine what he is feeling right now.

Baba: (wincing) Maybe I am saying this the wrong way. But you cannot sit there and tell me that seeing Dayu's panic attack didn't give you a moment of being taken aback.

Qing: (annoyed tone) You know that Dayu has panic attacks. We told you that back in April.

Baba: Knowing about it and witnessing it first hand are two very different things, Qing. Believe me. It is two very different experiences. (to me) Have your parents ever witnessed you in a scene like what happened during that dinner?

Me: (shaking my head) No. Never. My parents hasn't seen how I am during a panic attack. I wish they will never see me like that...

Baba: I also wish that for your parents, Dayu ah. It will break their hearts. As it did mine the other night. That's why even though this is hard for me, I have to raise this question to you and Qing. Particularly to Qing, if he really wants to spend the rest of his life with you when you have this condition.

Qing: (standing from his chair) And the answer to that is yes. Satisfied now? Dayu lets go! We are done here. We are leaving.

Qing grabbed my other hand and pulled me to my feet. Mama kept her hold on my other hand.

Mama: Dayu ah!

She clearly doesn't want to let me go but Qing pulled me harder and I had no choice but to go with him. I heard Mama shouting at Baba to stop us from leaving but Qing has already dragged me out of the studyroom and straight out of the museleom as well.

Me: (as we are driving back to the condo) We didn't even get to say goodbye. I should call Mama.

Qing: (clipped tone) No. She will probably call you later. Don't worry about it.

I stared at Qing's profile and saw the muted fury in his eyes. He was focusing on the road so I kept quiet as well. We got home safely enough and I went straight to the fridge to get something to drink. I saw a bar of brownie so I ate that and drank more water.

Then I heard the door of our room getting slam hard and heard Qing shouting. I quickly run to our room but before I could open the door, I heard Qing's loud voice from the inside.