Progress

Me: The thing about doing laundry is that its not all about separating the whites from the colored ones and making sure you use the right kind of soap detergent. You also have to factor in the type of fabric you will wash, the needed temperature of water to use and the right amount of fabric softener allowed by the law...

DaWan: (frowning) The law...what law? I've never heard of an official government law about fabric softener.

Me: (smiling) Law as in MY law. Mine...my laundry room, my rules.

DaWan: I see.

Me: Good. Now, watch carefully.

I started sorting our laundry that I will wash. Its laundry day for me in our love nest and DaWan is here to learn from the expert, the expert being me, about the proper way to wash clothes.

How to describe DaWan? Like I said, she is barely five feet tall but she is sturdy looking. She has a round face, healthy complexion, oval shaped eyes, rosebud lips and round chin. She's a tshirt, jeans and sneaker kind of girl (her words not mine) and a backpack to go. She's agile when moving and quite a gentle speaker. But like Qing said, she is a hardworker and thorough on her job.

But laundry is my expertise and I think she could learn one or two things from me.

Me: Remember, delicate fabrics like silk, velvet and satin usually fare well with cold water. The not so delicate cotton could be soaked in warm water. Also when it comes to stains, baking soda and vinegar are not an answer to all. There are other methods you can use to take away stains on clothes. Like soaking the stained part in rubbing alcohol or flushing the stain with running water.

DaWan: (sounding fascinated) I see.

Me: (smiling while loading the first batch of clothes on the washing machine) How old are you again?

DaWan: Twenty-three.

Me: And why did you decide to be a housekeeper?

DaWan: Because my father used to be a housekeeper. When I was younger, he used to take me to work and I thought his job looks cool. He gets to clean and have fun while doing it. Besides, its not like I am a novice on this. I've been doing this since I was sixteen.

Me: Sixteen? Wow. And exactly why did you start doing it?

DaWan: (shrugging) Easy money. I just clean people houses, most of the customers are not fussy, and the hours could be flexible. I do this to supplement my money allowance and buy stuffs for projects for school.

Me: Are you still studying?

DaWan: (nodding) I'm on my third year in a university. I don't take full load each year because studying is really not my strongest suit so I am taking my time finishing my course.

Me: Which is?

DaWan: Pre-Law.

I coughed. I blinked at her.

Me: Studying is not your strongest suit but you are taking Pre-Law? Make that make sense.

DaWan: (sighing) Studying is not my strongest suit but I didn't say I'm stupid. So I have a little part in my brain inside my head that can make logic of anything. I can understand lessons easily, keep it in my head and almost perfect my tests.

Me: So you are a genius?

DaWan: (looking offended) No, I am not. And I don't want to be called that.

I stared at her. She scowled at me. I concluded that there is a story behind that and I'm not sure yet if I want to know. I nodded.

Me: Fine. Whatever. Lets go back to you liking being a housekeeper. You are making it sound like its so easy when its not. Cleaning is hard. Being a housekeeper is hard.