Future Karma

I mean, you really have to give it to Qing's parents. They surely know how to troll their son.

Qing: (tight tone) Send it back.

I winced upon seeing the blatant irritation on my fiancé's face. Qing's expression and tone are strongly suggesting that he is about to explode and do something that will get us off the wills of his parents and that it won't be such a bad thing because that will be the least worry we will have. My fiancé causing the death of his parents will the on the topmost worry on my head.

This is a delicate situation that I have to defuse with care.

Me: It's a gift. There is a saying that it'll bring bad luck if you send a gift like this.

Qing: Do you like it?

Me: No. Brooch is not really my thing. Give me a ring or two and I'll take those over a brooch. Even a heirloom like this.

(Omona. Baba's parents sent the brooch to you, Dayu ah? THE brooch? THAT brooch?!)

Yes. You guessed it right. Qing's parents remembered that my birthday is approaching and they sent me a special gift. It is quite special, especially considering the history of this brooch.

This brooch made of several pearls forming a shape of a flower, that I cannot be arsed to identify, and surrounded with sparkling little diamonds, embedded in high karat gold. This piece of jewelry has been in the possession of Qing's family for over one hundred and fifty years. Yes, you read that right. This brooch is my age times six. It is that old but it endured the times because the members of Qing's family took good care of it.

And Qing almost lost it when he played a weird game of steal a family prized possession back in highschool with his friends. I already explained that game and the events that followed it on my earlier entry on this journal so for all our fucking sakes, don't make me repeat it. Just reread that entry if you need a refresher.

Anyways, in some weirdly humorous turned of events...the brooch now landed on our laps.

Me: Is it our turn now to take care of it?

Qing: (scowling) I would rather throw that thing on an alligator infested swamp than keep it safe. I hate that thing...

Yikes.

Me: Well...I, for one...don't know why you are offended by it. If anyone has any rights to be offended here, it's the poor brooch. Imagine reaching the ripe old age of over one hundred and fifty, then some punks will snatch you on your resting place to sell you on a pawnshop. That's offensive.

Qing gazed at me like he couldn't believe I just said those things.

Well, I said what I said. The brooch is an innocent victim and no one should victim blame the victim. Goddamnit!

But I think that is not what's important right now. I think Qing's parents sending this brooch to me has a secret meaning.

Qing: Yes. The secret meaning is that they want to piss me off.

Me: No. Look...bear with me for a moment, okay? I think your parents sent this brooch to me to signal that they are ready to sit down with you and talk. To reconcile.

Qing: (looking utterly baffled) How did you come up with that idea?

Me: Because like you said, sending this brooch to us will evoke a reaction from you. I bet your parents are now sitting in your mansion and waiting for you to call to demand them to take the brooch back. And while you are on the phone, they will finally tell us that they are ready to talk like civilized people and listen to what you have to say.