Curb Your Enthusiasm pt1

We had surprise visitors last weekend. My parents landed here in the capital, not to spend time with their one and only child...but to spend time with their son's fiancé's parents.

Me: (while watching Mama unload all the homemade food she packed for me and Qing) You mean you and Baba will not sleep here in the condo?

Mama: Yes. We will sleep in the mansion. Qing's mother invited us here and we agreed to do something together so its more convenient if we will stay there.

Me: Oh...

Mama: (halted in unpacking food containers) Why is your face like that? Are you really upset that we are not here to spend time with you...?

Me: (wincing as Baba and Qing entered the kitchen together) No. Not really. It's just...

Baba: Are you worried about us and Qing's parents spending time together?

Qing: (slightly frowning) You are both here to spend time with my parents?

Baba: (nodding) Yes. We traveled here because your parents invited us for a weekend get together, Qing.

Qing: Oh...(glancing at me) I see...

Qing and I spoke silently with our eyes. I tried not to project the panic and worry that started to creep inside me. I mean, I have questions like...

Why our parents are meeting this weekend? What is the occassion? What will they do? What is happening?! And oh my God, are you all sure I can't have a panic attack right now?!!

Shit!

(Dayu ah...)

Deep breath in. Hold it. Deep breath out. And repeat. And repeat.

I am Zen. I am calm personified.

(*sigh* You are so full of shit...)

Mama: (sighing) Are you doing your breathing exercise while standing like a statue there?

Me: (because I can't find any reasonable reason to deny it) Yes.

Mama: Why?

Me: Because I am concern about what the four of you will do while having this get together.

Mama: (wincing) Its your worst fear. We will discuss the details of your wedding together.

Me: Wow. What will I do now that you just...gone be honest like that?

Mama: Stop being too overly concern.

Qing: Dayu has a lot of concerns, Mama.

Mama: Why would he be concern? You two are the ones who gave us the go signal to start listing things and details for your wedding. Remember?

We did? Did we really? What?

I feel confuse but not Qing who apparently has a sharper memory bank in his head than the one I have in mine.

Qing: Right. We did that. But...we just said that I think over a month ago. You and Mama are ready to brainstorm our wedding already?

Mama: (bright smile) Not brainstorm. More like strategize. I mean, we will probably make a game plan on how best to help you two prepare your wedding.

I blinked. I think I should be reacting although for the love of me...I don't know what to say while in that moment. So I looked at my father for guidance on what to do with moments like this.

Baba: (sighing) Don't look at me like I have the thing that could save your ass, Dayu ah. For what its worth, I tried telling your mother that this might trigger your panic attack.