The Men With Plans

Pau: (awed tone) Your ring is very pretty. I have never seen green diamonds before. (smiling at Wang Zhu) This is fascinating, isn't it?

Wang Zhu: (face set in stone) Is it? I think I have another word to describe all of this and it's not fascinating, Sweetheart. More like fucked up...

Pau and I winced together at his hard tone. I think our dinner date with Zhu Gege and Pau is not going well.

Pau carefully let my hand go. He was admiring my engagement ring a moment ago but I think Zhu Gege was not in a mood to admire anything right now. I don't think he is even enjoying the delicious salmon we are having for dinner tonight.

Pau: (to Zhu Gege) Honey, it's their engagement. They have the right to hide it or shout it to the rooftop if they want. Personally, I don't see why people should be mad at them for keeping it to themselves.

Wang Zhu: (scowling) It's because you didn't grow up with a family, that's why you don't see how a news like this could be a big thing for other people. For us as Qing's family.

My eyes widened at that blatant rudeness Zhu Gege showed at Pau. Pau was visibly shook and hurt by those words. Qing, sitting beside, scowled at his cousin.

Qing: Can you focus being a bastard to us? Pau didn't deserve that.

Zhu Gege sighed before taking his napkin off his lap. He puts it on the table and he stood up. He took Pau's hand.

Wang Zhu: Please excuse us as I grovel for his forgiveness in private.

Pau rolled his eyes before standing up as well to go with Zhu Gege. We are dining in their lovely home and they went to their kitchen to talk. They are quite visible from the dining table. We saw Zhu Gege hugging Pau and seeming to whisper something to Pau's ear. Pau giggled and then they kissed. It was all over in just under two minutes.

Me: (bland disgusted tone) Your cousin can charm an anaconda ready to swallow him as food.

Qing: (dry tone) Why are you surprise? His superior convincing power makes him an effective businessman. Why do you think he is as successful as he is?

Me: Family connection? I thought he is on top level management position in your family's company because of nepotism.

Qing: (scoffing) It's talent. It's family genes. Zhu Gege has plenty of both.

Me: (as Zhu Gege and Pau joined us on the dining table again) Whatever.

Pau: (smiling) What did we miss?

Me: Nothing. Just me commenting that Zhu Gege can charm even an anaconda ready to eat him. You know...you could have made him work for your forgiveness a little bit harder.

Pau: (eyes twinkling) What made you think I made it easy for him? I just got a yes from him in approving my two weeks vacation. I have been working a yes out of him for months now. I need to research something for my school work that I need to pass at the end of this term and now I have two weeks to focus and work diligently on that without any disturbance from work or my lover. Zhu ah will have to endure working without an EA for two weeks and giving me space to finish my school paper. I won!

We turned our eyes to Zhu Gege who sighed heavily. Well...I think Pau has him all figured out and Pau can take care of himself.

Wang Zhu: We are not the topic here. I called for this dinner not to talk about me and Pau. This is about you two.

Qing: We lied. We are sorry. And now we are making things right. It's that simple.

Wang Zhu: If you think things are really that simple, then there is little wonder why Dayu rejected your proposal the first time. You are stupid.