Roles pt1

I'm procrastinating. Luxuriating. Lounging. Lazing around.

Whatever term you want to use to call someone who does nothing but lay around in flat surfaces and eat...that's me.

LiPin used an overnight express delivery service to send me a box of fresh strawberries. Apparently, she and Jin had a date near a strawberry farm and she remembered that I like strawberries so she got me a box. I adore her too.

So I decided that a day of doing nothing but laze around and eat strawberries dipped in chocolate or cream while watching gardening documentaries in my laptop is a great day. I'm a happy Lazy Squirrel.

And Qing took that moment to say something that has been on his mind for quite awhile now.

Me: (while eating merrily) This is the life. I love it. Not working and just relaxing.

Qing: (upon seeing me having a relaxing day) (muttering softly) I would love it if this is what you will decide to do with your life.

Me: (strawberry stopped in midair) Excuse me? Come again?

Qing: (sighing) Never mind.

Me: (perking up) No. Tell me.

Qing: (wincing) You wouldn't like it.

Me: Yeah. I think I know that. I know that whatever it was that you just muttered is something I will probably freaked out on and will protest on with every cell on my body. So, having said all that, tell me again what you just muttered.

Qing: (sighing) I said, I would love it if this is what you will decide to do with your life. I would not think it's bad if you will stop working altogether.

Me: (frowning) And if I stop working...what will I do with my life?

Qing: Well....

Me: Well what?

Qing: (grimacing) Will it be a really bad idea if...lets say...you became my stay home husband?

Me: (without even blinking or hesitating) Yes.

Qing: Why? Just...I will love you well, Dayu ah...even if you decide not to work and just write your journals.

Me: Yes, it will be bad because that is not what I have planned for my life. Being Wang Qing's stay home husband didn't make it to my list of top ten things I would like to become when I grow older.

Qing: When did you make that list?

Me: When I was nine. I dreamt of being an astronaut. Or a doctor. Or a lawyer. But not a stay home husband.

Qing: (chuckling with amusement) Well, we haven't met yet when you were nine.

Me: (getting annoyed) Don't chuckle like that again during this conversation if you don't want to regret meeting me.

Qing: (sighing) Dayu ah...

Me: (in a tight tone) I will not be your "wife", Wang Qing.

Qing: That is not what I was saying.

Me: Okay. Then tell me what will be my role in our marriage if I won't work to earn money.

Qing: You...could be like my mother.

Me: Exactly. Your mother who supports your father and raised his children. In other words, a wife.

Qing: My mother is more than my father's wife. She is an exceptionally talented woman with a keen mind in business, politics and society in general. She is an amazing woman.