No April's Fool pt1

One April Fool's Day...

JiJi: You and Qing are engaged now, aren't you?

I blinked several times at my lover's sister as JiJi stood in front of our main door. A moment ago someone, JiJi, rang our bell so I opened the door and the words above were her greeting for me.

JiJi: Why aren't you answering? I asked you a question. And by the way, you don't have to say anything...just show me your left hand.

I quickly put my left hand at the pocket of the jeans I am wearing. JiJi noticed that action of mine and pain flashed on her eyes.

JiJi: (bitter tone) Never mind answering, what you just did was an answer enough. (pushing me aside so she can come into our condo) I knew it! I knew something big is going on between you and my stupid brother.

I sighed and watched in silent gratitude as JiJi squirt sanitizer in her hands from the bottle on top of the counter near our foyer. Even if she is obviously annoyed at me, she still remembered my rule that I want everyone entering my home to sanitize properly. How considerate of her.

JiJi marched into our living room, put her handbag on the center table before turning around and puts her hands on the sides of her waist. She regarded me with looks filled with disbelief and betrayal.

JiJi: (sounding hurt) How could you two do that? Hide something that important from me. From us, your family. And how long has this secret engagement been going on? Qing proposed last year, didn't he? You two lied about him backing out from proposing to you. Oh my god...oh my god! You two...? Oh my god!

She is having a meltdown in our living room, my heart goes to her. And when JiJi noticed my continued silence, that anger her some more.

JiJi: (livid tone) Why are you not answering?! Say its true or deny it, I don't care anymore! Just say something, Feng Jian Yu!

Me: (sighed) How can I say anything when you are...(gesturing at JiJi) like that?

JiJi: (dawning realization) (calming down) Oh right, I am not giving you a chance to speak...sorry. (then annoyed again) But still! How could you?

Oh she is giving me a whiplash. I took my left hand from the pocket of my jeans.

Me: Do you want something to drink to calm down or (waving my left hand in her direction) do you want to see the ring first?

It's not a hard question to answer for the sister of my fiancé.

JiJi: Fuck drinking! Ring first. (urging me to come closer to her) Let me see.

I sighed as I stepped closer to her with my left hand raised and extended in her direction. JiJi seized my hand, pulled me closer and then stared at the ring her brother slipped on the fourth finger of my hand. The same ring JiJi and Zhu Gege helped Qing to pick from a jewelry store.

I was surprised to see JiJi's eyes getting misty while staring at the ring on my hand.

Me: (baffled) Are you crying? Why?

JiJi: (sniffing as she lets my and go) It's so beautiful. Dayu...the ring looks beautiful in your hand. It feels like yesterday when I saw Qing pick this ring on the jewelry store and now you are wearing. Oh my god...I could cry!

Jesus she is...so JiJi right now.

Me: (suddenly shy at her unexpected praise) Oh...well...Qing said I make things look beautiful when I wear them. So...yeah...

I placed my left hand on my chest so I can gaze down at the engagement ring on it. When I looked up again, I saw JiJi scowling at me once more.

Me: (wincing) I know you are disappointed at us...