9.5 Base - Wrong Signal

"Yes, of course", Mom affirmed and when I saw her blush, I suddenly believed her!

"No way! You really did!"

"Easy, easy, honey..."

"How is it possible, that I did not know about this?"

"Because I didn't exactly want to hawk this around"

"But...but...how often?"

"I don't know..."

"MOM!"

"...maybe a dozen times since..."

"A DOZEN!?", I cut her off appalled and held my face in shock.

"That's why I switched to cream-colored bed sheets", she added and giggled.

"Did Dad ever find out?"

"Of course"

"What did he say?"

"He teased me for being so hard on you at the same time. But then he cheered me up and either helped me clean it, before you could notice, or distracted you", she explained and I felt cheated.

"Mom, but you should've told me"

"That would've sent the wrong signal"

"How?"

"It would've suggested, that wetting yourself is okay, but it's not. It's not the end of the world, but as a parent it's my job to teach you, how to behave in society. Little kids are too young to understand the gray areas. You had to at least try to make it to the bathroom instead of thinking, it's not important, because Mommy does the same. You do understand that, hun, don't you?"

"I guess...", I returned nodding, when there was suddenly a knocking on our door. We both startled and I quickly hid under my wet blanket.

"Who's disturbing? You know, it's already way past midnight...", Mom shouted against the door.

"That's why I'm here, Mrs. Anderson. This is Eugene, the night porter. Would you please open the door?", a male voice asked and we looked at each other. Then Mom took the robe from a peg and signaled me to stay in bed, before she eventually opened the door. A small man in staff uniform showed up.

"I don't get it. How can I help you?", Mom asked him, while I quickly hid again.

"I'm really sorry to bother you, ma'am, but several guests have complained of being woken up by screams coming from your room, Mrs. Anderson"

"Oh, I'm sorry about that..."

"I'm just here to make sure, that everything is okay"

"Yes...yes, it is"

"Can I check for myself, ma'am?"

"You...you want to come in??", Mom asked baffled.

"Yes, I think this would be the best"

"Is this really necessary?"

"It is my duty to look into the matter. Otherwise, I'm afraid I would have to call the police, Mrs. Anderson"

"I see...okay, you can come in", Mom suddenly gave in and I took a deep breath under my blanket, that made the urine smell even more apparent. I heard steps enter the room.

"Thank you, ma'am. It won't take long..."

"What are you searching for, Eugene?"

"I looked into the register and saw, that the room is for two: you and your daughter..."

"Lyza, yes", Mom quickly returned, while I was so anxious, that I peed the bed again. A yellow puddle collected between my thighs.