7.54 Grinding - Very Commendable

"How about we help your mother with the lasagna then?", Gloria suggested a bit later and immediately got up from her seat.

"I already offered her help, but she declined and told me to have a good time with you instead", I hastily returned and jumped to my feet.

"But I'm a bit more experienced than you, Lyza. There's a lot I can help her with..."

"No, she insisted on doing it on her own. She'll kill me if I allow the guest to help her", I explained the situation and when she still moved towards the door I quickly grabbed her elbow.

"Oh, no, you misunderstood. I just wanted to use the bathroom", Gloria chuckled and I let go of her. She then went inside while I followed her closely. Gladly she didn't even try to enter the kitchen but just sniffed a bit. It already smelled like my favorite food ^^ I showed Gloria the bathroom and she entered it. I was finally on my own again. Too bad I couldn't use the time for a change because the toilet was occupied. It surely wasn't my day ^^

All curious I walked into the kitchen to look for the lasagna. Mom sat on a chair with a glass of wine in her hand. Right in front of her were plates with vegetables and a few dips.

"Where's the lasagna?", I asked worried.

"Still in the stove", she returned without moving one inch.

"Is it ready?"

"I guess"

"And why are you sitting around in the kitchen then, Mom? We've been waiting for you to finish", I complained upset, but Mom didn't care.

"The lasagna needed a few more minutes, but now it's ready, hun", she explained calmly and smiled at me. I took things in my own hands and began stacking the plates to carry them out. That's when Gloria exited the bathroom and joined us in the kitchen. Mom's expression darkened.

"The lasagna smells great. Can I help you serving the dishes?", the elder woman asked friendly and I quickly intervened.

"Here, you could help me with the plates if you don't mind", I offered and then we brought them out together.

"Is your Mom okay? She seems to be a little...annoyed..."

"I guess she's just had a bad night and a long day", I assuaged her with a smile.

"Oh, that's too bad"

"Can I leave you alone for a minute? I just want to wash my hands. They seem to be dirty"

"Of course, that's very commendable, Lyza", Gloria applauded me and I quickly took my chance to finally leave for the bathroom. The urge was already starting to get painful again. When I passed the kitchen, Mom suddenly held me up.

"Honeeey!?"

"What is it?", I returned annoyed while staring at the door to the toilet only a few feet in front of me.

"You gotta help me with the lasagna"

"In a moment. I'll just use the bathroom, okay?", I announced when I suddenly heard something crash on the kitchen floor. Scared I lost a few drops and quickly entered the kitchen. Mom was down to one knee at the oven with a big knife and a cutting board on the floor next to her.