7.6 Grinding - The Daughter

Without hesitating I opened the door and got out. To my relief their car was still parked in the driveway. I walked over to their door and rang the bell. To my surprise Mack's Dad opened the door.

"Oh, hi! What are YOU doing here?", he asked confused and before I could say anything Mack's Mom called him.

"Is it Sylvia?"

"No...the daughter...", he returned and went back in leaving me standing outside. I was dumbfounded and wasn't sure if I was meant to enter or wait ^^ Mack's Mom joined me before I could make a decision.

"Hi Lyza, how are you?"

"I'm fine, thanks. How about you?"

"Well, the day is getting better I guess", she giggled and smiled at me.

"Oh, then I really don't want to bother you too much. I just wanted to talk to Mack for a minute if that's okay..."

"But of course, come in, Lyza. You're always welcome", she invited me, gave me a hug and led me inside.

"What did the girl want?", Mack's Dad asked from the couch in the living room annoyed.

"Calm down, I'm just taking her to Magnus"

"What? No, the boy needs to study, Gina"

"He's been studying for more than six hours already. He needs a break anyway", she told him to which he didn't say anything in return. So Mack's Mom went to his room and I followed.

"It won't take long, I promise, Mrs. Peters", I assured her, but she stopped and waved me off.

"Could you do me a favor, Lyza?"

"...err...sure...", I answered not knowing what she had been up to.

"Please stay for a while. Magnus has been studying all day and surely will be glad to have a friend come over", she explained to me with a concerned look on her face.

"Okay"

"Thanks a lot!"

"I just gotta tell Mom that I'll stay a bit longer then"

"Don't worry, I'll call her for you"

"That's nice of you, thanks!"

"Oh, just one thing. Please stay away from Mila"

"I was actually wondering if she is even home because normally I can hear her from a mile away", I joked, but she didn't smile this time.

"She's in her room, but she's sick"

"Oh, I hope it's not too serious"

"No, I think she'll be fine in a few days, but for now she needs to rest, okay?"

"Yeah, sure"

"Okay, then let's surprise Magnus now. MAGNUS, look who came over to see you!", she shouted after knocking on his door and then opened it. Mack looked up from the pile of books on his desk and his tired eyes moved in our direction. When he noticed me a big smile formed on his face.

"OH, HI LYZ!"

"Hi Mackie! Are you okay?"

"Does it look like it? Just what a teenager dreams of doing on a Saturday....", Mack returned sarcastically nodding towards his Mom.

"I think you know you've brought that upon yourself, Magnus", she told him without missing a beat.

"Yeah, I know that. But can she please stay for a few minutes? I'm miserable and..."

"NO!", his Mom cut him off harshly.

"But Mom...just for maybe five minutes...I'll continue immediately afterwards...", he pleaded because he had no idea his Mom was just toying with him ^^

"No, I insist that Lyza stays here for a few hours, no back talk!", she added with a wink and Mack stared at her thunderstruck.