Chapter 168 : Betrayal, Is Betrayal

It was eight in the morning at a quiet cafe in the heart of Barcelona city. Sat outside in the fresh chilly air was Javier and Suzanne, having breakfast.

Suzanne, was wearing a thick fleece lined coat, thick leggings with a short skirt, and fluffy boots. Her beautiful blonde hair was quickly pulled up in a messy bun as she sipped her cappuccino and waited for breakfast to arrive.

Javier was wearing a heavy, all weather jacket with a thick sweater underneath and casual black chinos. His hair was messy and un-styled, and he had inch long black roots showing on his dyed, flame-red hair.

"I just needed to step out of there. I think it does us good." Javier said as he reached for Suzanne's hands on the table.

"Yes. It's nice to get out and see normal people, doing normal jobs," Suzanne said as she looked around, "Look at all these people.. walking around, oblivious."

Javier looked around, "Yeah. These people have normal concerns. Paying their bills, buying food... they don't have to worry about being gunned down."

"Speaking of which, how is Mateo?" Suzanne asked.

Javier sighed, "He's okay, but he's just a kid himself. I think it was a wakeup call for him not to act so flippant."

"I bet his mother would be beside herself if she knew!" Suzanne asked.

"He doesn't have one, or a father for that matter. We're the only family he has." Javier said.

"Really? Why?" Suzanne asked.

"He was given up for adoption at birth. Institutionalized from then on, growing up in one children's home after another. He was adopted a couple of times, and was heart broken to be given up yet again, so he stayed in the children's home. He developed a taste for arson and became a young offender until he reached legal age." Javier said.

"What then?" Suzanne asked.

"He slept rough on the streets, then was taken in by gangs. He continued being an arsonist and even did a stint in jail. It was only when he was released from his sentence, that he met... the boss." Javier said.

"Where did he meet Marcel?" Suzanne asked.

"Where else? In the Silver Star. He'd go in there to drink on friday nights, dressed up in all his gang colours and rags. He caught the bosses eye right away." Javier said.

Suzanne nodded, "Yes, that man can sense a person in trouble like a shark can sense blood in the water." Suzanne said.

"Well I tried to advise Marcel against it as Mateo was too young, but the boss felt that a young, mouldable arsonist was exactly what we needed. Mateo took to taking orders from the boss like you wouldn't believe. Mateo left the street gangs right away and joined the personality cult of Marcel's Bordello." Javier said.

Suzanne shivered, "Marcel is a revolting man."

"No! He's amazing! A great leader, cunning tactician." Javier said.

"And he treats you like dirt, Hav. You keep trying to be social friends with him, but he will never see you as anything more than a foot soldier." Suzanne said.

"Nah! You see, we've just never been in a social situation before. I'm certain he's different socially. I've seen the photos on Mercy's phone! He's just a normal guy!" Javier said.

"Does he know about the baby?" Suzanne asked, looking concerned.

"Yes. Mercy congratulated us. Marcel's reaction was...strange." Javier said.

"What do you mean? What did he say?" Suzanne asked.

Javier tilted his head as he stared off, "He said...'you are a good man to take on the responsibilities of parenthood'. I guess that's as close as he comes to a congratulations. I mean, if he became a father, I'd be cheering for him."